Traps detected on first try
issueid=5597 11-04-2017 11:39 AM
Number of reported issues by BenMathiesen: 99
Traps detected on first try

My current dwarf paladin has Detect Traps at only 61%, but always detects adjacent traps on the first try.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5597
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.6
Fixed Version ADOM 2.3.7
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-04-2017 12:19 PM
The Creator
Dwarves get a +20 bonus, so effectively he's at 81.

What is his perception score?
Is he lucky?
Does he carry any items like a ring of searching?
Is he a thief? (they get a bonus of level * 2)

For visible fields currently 1d(120 + PE * 2 - <other modifiers as mentioned above>) is rolled. So it could be possible that he is good enough to find most traps.

I have added the danger level of the current area as an additional factor (usually it is 1-50, 1.5 that much now will be added to the die side rolled.

So I would say "Improved".

11-04-2017 01:34 PM
I noticed traps were easier to detect after the 2.3.6 update, with a new L4 Dark Elf Assassin detecting them in 1-2 turns with around 40% trap detection.
No complaints here, though, it's frustrating to search ten times for traps to no avail and then walk right into a fireball trap ;)

11-05-2017 12:11 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
I noticed traps were easier to detect after the 2.3.6 update, with a new L4 Dark Elf Assassin detecting them in 1-2 turns with around 40% trap detection.
No complaints here, though, it's frustrating to search ten times for traps to no avail and then walk right into a fireball trap ;)
Haven't played 2.3.6 yet because it's not yet available on the prerelease site, but just commenting that I disagree with your experience of previous versions' detect traps experience.

A PC with 40-ish DT skill should rather easily find most, if not all, traps, by using 'ws' command once.

11-05-2017 12:42 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
Haven't played 2.3.6 yet because it's not yet available on the prerelease site, but just commenting that I disagree with your experience of previous versions' detect traps experience.

A PC with 40-ish DT skill should rather easily find most, if not all, traps, by using 'ws' command once.
Gotta point out not everybody wants to waste ~20 turns looking for a trap so ws is not a viable option unless you love wasting game time (not real time of course)

11-05-2017 08:00 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Dwarves get a +20 bonus, so effectively he's at 81.

What is his perception score?
Is he lucky?
Does he carry any items like a ring of searching?
Is he a thief? (they get a bonus of level * 2)

For visible fields currently 1d(120 + PE * 2 - <other modifiers as mentioned above>) is rolled. So it could be possible that he is good enough to find most traps.

I have added the danger level of the current area as an additional factor (usually it is 1-50, 1.5 that much now will be added to the die side rolled.

So I would say "Improved".
Dwarven paladin, Per: 15 no special items.
The +20 bonus is enough to account for it, probably. I was searching in the Griffyard dungeon, though, which probably ought to be trickier.

I agree with others that searching 10+ times is boring, but there also needs to be a reason in the game to raise Detect Traps to the 80/100 levels. It sounds like increasing the penalty from danger level could do it!

11-05-2017 09:32 AM
The Creator
Ok, I'm happy to hear reports from 2.3.7 and then we can decide if this needs further change :-)

11-13-2017 07:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila

However I was finding most traps by using the 's' command once. So, definitely a raised percentile chance there!

+ Reply