Blood drinking artifacts don't seem to lose power
issueid=6023 02-16-2018 05:11 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Blood drinking artifacts don't seem to lose power

According to 5951, " All blood-sucking items now lose in power over time." This does not seem to be the case, even after waiting 10000+ turns and several days in the wilderness (tested with whip of the vampire snake and silence of the dead).
Issue Details
Issue Number 6023
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10 (Steam)
Status In Progress
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 3.1.0
Fixed Version ADOM 3.1.2
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-01-2018 07:52 PM
The Creator
Fixed. Power loss was much too slow and should be more appropriate now.

This petition for a change to Unconfirmed was accepted
03-02-2018 07:29 PM
Ancient Member
I've waited 100000 turns and 30 days, still have not seen one of these decrease in power in 3.1.1. Tested with whip of the vampire snake and Masher.

03-03-2018 11:10 AM
The Creator
Yet another concentration skill check failure. Now really fixed. I tested only the first half of blood loss.

03-04-2018 11:03 AM
I realize there's probably no such thing as an optimal level here, but in 3.1.2. the power loss seems to be way too fast. In sparsely populated levels, Hornet's Sting loses modifiers while walking from one end to another, despite killing some monsters on the way. A particularly tricky fight against a greater titan (i.e. a few hundred turns without a kill) dropped the weapon almost to its initial stats.

In the top level of the ToEF, I never managed to raise the power of the weapon significantly, because most monsters required around 3 hits, combined with walking back and forth a few squares in between hitting things. At the end of killing every inhabitant in the temple the weapon still had almost its initial stats.

Seems a shame, since I got the same weakish artifact in 3.1.0 and had a tough time deciding between it and a more powerful weapon, because of the speed modifier. In this version, Hornet's Sting and its ilk go straight to the altar.

Suggestions:

1. Make the initial level of the relatively weak blood-drinkers a bit stronger

or

2. Tone down the power loss somewhat

+ Reply