Nearby dungeon
issueid=695 12-03-2011 01:27 PM
Number of reported issues by Cass: 18
Nearby dungeon
Somewhere to go to in the early game

Fisrt I want to say, I love the random map. The more randomness, the happier I am generally.

However, I think it'd be a good idea to also have a less-random dungeon wich always generates within sight (or nearly so) from the starting location. As it stands now, I sometimes have to eat all my food and see my character starve before even finding a location to enter. While there's usually something to eat inside, if I'd ever survive that dungeon (never happened so far :p) it'd be a real problem to get back to town.

The solution at this moment is to take the survival skill, but with more skills implemented, that will get far more painful. It will also get very much more dangerous, looking for that first dungeon, once there are wilderness encounters. So just one little location to go to quickly and relatively safely and get some xp, gold and items would be a great help to get a character started.

You could do it just for testing and remove it again later.
Issue Details
Issue Number 695
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.2.3
Implemented Version ADOM II 0.2.3
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-03-2011 04:05 PM
Ancient Member
Um, but the CoC meets those requisites, doesn't it? I haven't ever had a character that couldn't survive a trip to and from the CoC without starving after spending the initial money on standard rations in Terinyo...

12-04-2011 12:40 AM
I think perhaps some of the other ADOM dungeons may be in the works too(I found descriptions for them on the overland map, but couldn't enter). Those would give some more nearby dungeons that would be created in each game.

12-20-2011 11:27 PM
I don't think that having a guaranteed dungeon within sight of the start position is a bad idea--at the very least, it will make the game a little more friendly to a first-time player. The CoC only work as a start dungeon if the player has played ADoM, and therefore knows where to find them.

It should not be assumed that all JADE players have played ADoM as well.

02-07-2012 04:33 AM
The Creator
Added for ADOM II 0.2.3. Please send your real name to creator(at)ancientdomainsofmystery.com for it to be included in the credits. (If you were already asked to do so you can ignore this message. Please include a reference to the bug or RFE you are credited for.)

+ Reply