Trolls can equip medium weapons but not armor
issueid=843 03-20-2012 04:34 AM
Number of reported issues by Nearsighted: 34
Trolls can equip medium weapons but not armor

May not be a bug, but is highly inconsistent and unnecessarily confusing.
Issue Details
Issue Number 843
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Not a Bug
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM II 0.2.3
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-20-2012 07:42 AM
I do not see a problem when trying to picture it.
A short sword would be close to a knife for example, but how could your troll wear a small / medium helmet?

Seems like a paint picture challenge to me ;)

03-20-2012 09:10 AM
@ Orbic:

Largely I agree with you. However I also hold the opinion that sometimes for consistency and ease of understanding some things should be simple and uniform. It's already an unnecessarily complex system to have so many different armor & weapon sizes (and obviously we're not going for pure realism here because there still is a cookie-cutter size-less variety) and I think making the armor and weapon size qualifications vary within a race is just taking a step too far. At least, that was my rationale when reporting as a bug. I don't think I'm completely without point, though, am I? ;)

03-20-2012 02:14 PM
Ancient Member
I actually love the current behaviour. Trolls are so big that they can wield two-handed human weapons with a single hand. I guess the same thing happens with humans vs. gnomes. This is the kind of detail and complexity I love in roguelikes. And wait until we have armour smiths that fit armour to different sizes, or "scrolls of resizing". Lots of possibilities!

03-20-2012 02:22 PM
@ Al-Khwarizmi
Yeah, alright. For the time being you've convinced me. That and the fact that yet again I was wrong about there being standard, non-sized armors. If all armors have a size than maybe we are going for realism! :D

03-20-2012 02:25 PM
Really? I noticed the 'Larger can wield smaller' weapons, but not the part about smaller 2H weapons being 1H... that might have some interesting implications regarding artifacts. Imagine dualwielding Vanquisher and TotRR or something like that.

On an another amusing note, my trollish barbarian ended up with a very small (tiny?) rapier... I had the rather amusing image of him using it as a toothpick.

03-20-2012 08:12 PM
Maybe certain artifact items would shrink or grow to be the appropriate size for their wielder. I imagine magick rings would do something like this but I don't know if Thomas has considered this at all for artifact items

04-20-2012 06:44 AM
The Creator
The feature definitely is intentional. This probably will be easier to understand once I start writing the manual (scheduled for the 0.3.x development line) due to the amount of details already creeping into the game.

+ Reply