Companions can't inflict damage in the ogre cave
issueid=888 03-30-2012 04:10 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Companions can't inflict damage in the ogre cave
Companions/pets have an exceptionally hard time killing ordinary ogres in their cave.

Problem
Companions attacking the ogres in the ogre cave deal damage at a much lower rate than usual, if at all.

How to reproduce it
Having a companion/pet powerful enough to dispatch ogres, receive the corresponding quest from Thrundarr. Then, go to the ogre cave and command your friend to kill one of the ogres. They will seem to always miss or fail to hurt them.

Notes
The Guidebook says the bug prevents them from inflicting "any" damage. During testing, my greater earth elemental pet that could two-hit emperor liches, was able to kill an ogre, but it took it around 15 attacks.

Other monsters (created with a wand, or wished-for) in the ogre cave seem to take damage normally.
Issue Details
Issue Number 888
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows NT
Status Won't Fix
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-10-2012 07:55 PM
Administrator
@anon123: which level did your PC have when you entered the cave? The ogres are "special" ogres that grow in strength with the PC.

09-10-2012 08:00 PM
Ancient Member
I'm afraid I have no idea... but I do have the SVG from the character mentioned above (the one with the elemental pet) in case it's of any use.

09-11-2012 09:30 AM
Ancient Member
I always thought this was a feature to prevent luring ogres to the DT.

Moreover, getting ogres fight each other leads to the same behavior. IIRC, breath attacks do not work either, but that may not be true.

The only way I managed to get ogre cave cleared during my Head Hunter challenge (kill 1 and only 1 monster of each type) was to use Emperor Lich (from DH:2 with SoFS) glowing balls attack.

10-17-2012 07:14 PM
Administrator
It's intentional behaviour, confirmed by Thomas.

10-18-2012 07:33 PM
What's the reason to do this? I mean, ogre cave is easily beatable without pets and the reason to bring a pet can only be like
get ogre cave cleared during my Head Hunter challenge (kill 1 and only 1 monster of each type)
which is too rare occasion to think of.

10-18-2012 07:43 PM
Ancient Member
At a guess... probably to avoid problems with a pet fulfilling the quest rather than the PC?

10-18-2012 08:29 PM
Ancient Member
I'll think of the simplest solution and say it's so that you do it without help.

10-19-2012 10:56 AM
Ancient Member
I'd guess it's what _Ln_ said: to prevent luring ogres to DT and dwarves helping you. Maybe some NPC's in DT are capable of killing an ogre (I haven't tried).

10-19-2012 08:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I'd guess it's what _Ln_ said: to prevent luring ogres to DT and dwarves helping you. Maybe some NPC's in DT are capable of killing an ogre (I haven't tried).
Couldn't that be done by simply making it so that ogres and dwarves can't follow the PC up/down those stairs? Or would that utterly obliterate the challenge of the Ogre Cave?

10-21-2012 04:05 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by mike3
Couldn't that be done by simply making it so that ogres and dwarves can't follow the PC up/down those stairs? Or would that utterly obliterate the challenge of the Ogre Cave?
I'm not sure what you mean here, 99% of the time there is no "challenge" to the Ogre Caves (even less if you've obtained the fireball wand).

+ Reply