Carpenter quest becomes unwinnable if Yrrigs transforms into a WMoPC
issueid=929 04-11-2012 03:16 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Carpenter quest becomes unwinnable if Yrrigs transforms into a WMoPC
If the mad carpenter transforms into a writhing mass of primal chaos, Rynt's quest cannot be finished.

Problem
If Yrrigs transforms into a WMoPC, the game no longer recognizes him as the mad carpenter and Rynt's quest becomes unwinnable.

How to reproduce it
Take Rynt's quest. Find the mad carpenter on VD: 7 and lure him to a corruption trap many times. Eventually, he will transform into "Yrrigs, the writhing mass of primal chaos" (at least he kept his name). At this point, neither killing his new form or taking it to the healer will fulfill the quest - if you go to Rynt, he will keep on asking you to end the carpenter's suffering.

Notes
This could probably be fixed by making the game act as if Yrrigs died/had been killed by the PC when he accumulates so much corruption.
Issue Details
Issue Number 929
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows NT
Status Fixed
Priority 9
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-11-2012 03:26 PM
Ancient Member
I think there are a handful of other quests that can fail in this manner. Jharod I think can be similarly corrupted, rendering the quest to kill him impossible, and I seem to remember that Nonnak can be corrupted as well, making the portal quest impossible to finish. I'm sure if you could lure Hotzenplotz or Guth'Alak onto a corruption trap you'd run into similar problems. Possibly other quests have similar problems.

IMHO, the best option would be to just flag quest NPCs with the "Avoid all traps" attribute.

11-01-2012 08:06 AM
Nonnak is a much bigger deal because it makes the game unwinnable.

11-01-2012 09:06 AM
Ancient Member
The game is still winnable with Nonnak getting corrupted.

JellySlayer: Even with ignoring traps there are other ways for them to get corrupted. One could just make some of them corruption immune. However I'd say that in many circumstances this seems inappropriate, and if you get your quest target WMoPC'd then that's your own fault. There should be some sort of quest failure trigger though.

11-01-2012 11:21 AM
I don't think that letting those characters corrupt to WMoPCs should satisfy the respective quests directly. I do, however, think that they should be alternate solutions with their own effects.

Yrrigs becoming truly corrupted, it seems to me, should quite upset Rynt, as it's very much the opposite of what he asked you to do.

11-01-2012 04:10 PM
Ancient Member
Making quest NPCs ignore traps would also prevent Yrrigs from e.g. having his head crunched by a stone block, unfairly ruining what is supposed to be an "easy" quest. But then again, ADOM is unfair to begin with, so the merits of that are debatable.

Ignoring corruption from purple traps only (if feasible), might be an acceptable middle ground.

11-06-2012 11:51 AM
Ancient Member
I think there should not be exceptions in corruption and traps. Better, as suggested before, let the game react appropriately than change the game mechanics.

Really, in many cases this is what makes Adom great.

11-06-2012 01:51 PM
Ancient Member
Maybe there should be a special quest ending if you bring a WMoPC back instead of the cute puppy :p

Hard to do though since the puppy does evade trades.

11-06-2012 08:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
The game is still winnable with Nonnak getting corrupted.

JellySlayer: Even with ignoring traps there are other ways for them to get corrupted. One could just make some of them corruption immune. However I'd say that in many circumstances this seems inappropriate, and if you get your quest target WMoPC'd then that's your own fault. There should be some sort of quest failure trigger though.
How is it "your fault" if they get corrupted? The RNG decides to generate the traps and decides where the monsters move before you find them. Unless you're talking about the case with the player intentionally leading them over a corruption trap again and again. That was done here for testing -- isn't it possible it could occur ingame via bad luck as well?

01-10-2013 02:43 PM
The Creator
Fixed. Basically the "special drops" of special monsters now occur indepdendently of whether the monster gets turned into stone, transformed into a writhing mass of primal chaos or sacrificed.

01-10-2013 03:08 PM
Ancient Member
Ooh, the sacrifice thing makes for a couple of neat changes.

+ Reply