Interacting with unpaid items
issueid=932 04-11-2012 10:42 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Interacting with unpaid items
The PC can perform some actions on unpaid items that shopkeepers shouldn't allow.

Problem
The PC can do some thing to unpaid items scot-free, that I wouldn't allow if I were the shopkeeper - for example, breaking, cursing or polymorphing them. The following is a list of what can be done to unpaid items and the consequences. The things I believe deserve more attention are italicized.

Dipping unpaid items in potions
* Unpaid item, potion of holy water: is blessed if non-blessed, price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid item, potion of unholy water: is cursed if non-cursed, price decreases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid scroll, potion of water: scroll is erased, new blank scroll is still unpaid, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid iron non-artifact, potion of water: item rusts, price decreases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid weapons, missiles or food: item is poisoned, price stays the same, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid non-artifact, potion of raw chaos: item is transformed or explodes as expected, the PC doesn't incur any debts(1), shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid scroll of chaos resistance: scroll is destroyed in a explosion, the PC doesn't incur any debts, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid non-artifact, blessed potion of exchange: item is transformed into another one, the PC doesn't incur any debts(1), shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid non-artifact, potion of oil: item is made rustproof according potion's B/U/C status, price stays the same, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid iron non-artifact, cursed oil of rust removal: item rusts, price decreases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid rusty non-artifact, uncursed oil of rust removal: rust is removed, price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid iron non-artifact, blessed oil of rust removal: item is made rustproof, price stays the same, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid wand (except wishing), potions of booze, mana or boost mana: wand is recharged, price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.

(1) = items generated this way are not unpaid

As you can see, the shopkeeper doesn't care if you dip unpaid items in your potions, other than changing the prices accordingly. And I can transform and curse his stuff without any problems :)

Uncursing unpaid items
* Unpaid cursed item, Remove Curse spell: price increases, shopkeeper says you owe even more but thanks.
* Unpaid cursed item, scroll of uncursing: price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid cursed item, prayer: N/A, unpaid items can't be equipped.
* Unpaid cursed item, Wizard level 40 class power: price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid cursed item, scroll of repair exploit: price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.

Why does he only comment when you use Remove Curse?

Cursing unpaid items
* Unpaid item, potion of unholy water: price decreases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid item, cursed scroll of uncursing: price decreases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid item, prayer: price decreases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.

Destroying unpaid items
* Unpaid item, scroll of item destruction(2): item is destroyed, the PC doesn't incur any debts, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid item, '\Ct'riggering acid trap created inside the shop: N/A, unpaid items are ineligible for item destruction.
* Unpaid wand, charging with Wizard level 32 class power: wand vanishes(3), the PC doesn't incur any debts, shopkeeper doesn't comment.

(2) = the PC read uncursed scrolls of item destruction from a single stack with ~12 unpaid items in his inventory and nothing else
(3) = this is a bug and has already been fixed for 1.2.0

Breaking and repairing
* Unpaid non-broken item, cursed scroll of repair: item is broken, price decreases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.
* Unpaid broken item, non-cursed scroll of repair, item is fixed, price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.

If someone came into my shop and started breaking and cursing my stuff, he'd have to pay for the damage. Here it's not the case.

Picking items up with poison hands
* Unpaid potion, value is below that of a potion of poison: item is transformed into a potion of poison, price increases, shopkeeper says thanks for enhancing value.
* Unpaid potion, value exceeds that of a potion of poison: item is transformed into a potion of poison, price increases and the PC incurs a debt, shopkeeper says you'll pay for the damage.
* Unpaid potion of poison: item's B/U/C status stays the same, price stays the same, shopkeeper says thanks for enhancing the value of his wares.
* Unpaid non-cursed food: item is cursed, shopkeeper says you'll pay for the damage.
* Unpaid cursed food: price stays the same, shopkeeper says thanks for enhancing the value of his wares (this has been reported as an illogical message).

Miscellany
* Using a scroll of charging on an unpaid wand: wand is recharged, price increases, shopkeeper doesn't comment.

How to reproduce it
Self-explanatory, see above.

Notes
A clever player can abuse these quirks to get sizable discounts on expensive items. A test PC sold blessed robes of resistance to Barnabas, who wanted 465696gp for them afterwards. Breaking(4) and cursing them with a cursed scroll of repair and unholy water reduced the price to 50803gp, a ~90.9% decrease with no debt or lasting ill effects (broken armor is usable, and can of course be uncursed). Wish engines become easier to start, courtesy of whoever runs a ring shop.

(4) = artifacts can be broken with a a cursed scroll of repair, this has been reported

I wonder why rustproofing items doesn't increase their cost. You're enhancing them after all. And the shopkeeper should say thanks for enhancing value when I charge unpaid wands or bless non-blessed items.
Issue Details
Issue Number 932
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows NT
Status Fixed
Priority 6
Affected Version ADOM 1.1.1
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-28-2012 07:27 PM
Administrator
Fixed the following situations:

- wizard level 32 class power (recharging wands)
- wizard level 40 class power (uncurse item)
- dipping items into potions (all potions)
- reading scrolls: scroll of repair, scroll of charging, scroll of item destruction, scroll of uncursing
- god curses all items after prayer
- "remove curse" spell
- "damage inventory" function (acid trap)

The item value now respects the rustproof and poison status.

11-29-2012 12:49 PM
Ancient Member
"Damage something and pay for it" :)

11-29-2012 01:01 PM
Ancient Member
I'm sorry for not testing, but just thought of other possibilities:

Rusting from water trap? Paper destruction from water trap?
Dipping unpaid fluff ball into potion of water?
If the "damage inventory" is implemented, do you get to pay after unpaid item destruction on zapping yourself/monster breath attacks?
Spellcasting monsters cursing unpaid items?

A couple of more possibilities on item usage I thought:

Can you use farmer "ration from corpses" power on unpaid items?
Can you turn unpaid potions into poison potions with assassin's lvl6 class power?
Giving unpaid items with merchant class power?

11-29-2012 02:18 PM
Ancient Member
Unpaid items can never be affected by item destruction. I've looked through the old database, and TB mentioned this is deliberate behavior. I only included it in my list for information's sake.

Your other points are very good.

12-06-2012 05:23 PM
I wonder how consequences will be implemented for PC's who cannot afford their debts?

Perhaps forced sale of owned items? This also may not cover the debt owed...

12-06-2012 05:31 PM
Ancient Member
Kill the shopkeeper :p

12-06-2012 06:14 PM
Ancient Member
It is noteworthy that if you owe the traders guild, rather than that particular shopkeeper, you can teleport or walk (through a destroyed wall) away without being considered a thief.

03-21-2013 03:18 AM
Ancient Member
I think this is the best place to post this: zapping an unpaid wand of far slaying with 0 PP increases your debt, even though you can't activate the wand and no charges are used at all.

Has anyone checked the things Ln posted above in the latest prereleases?

+ Reply