Speed - Permament vs Temporary
issueid=3973 11-10-2015 01:25 PM
Number of reported issues by ghostjghost: 3
Speed - Permament vs Temporary
Speed Mechanic Suggestion.

I think the game should track permanent and temporary speed separately such as is done with other stats and use only the permanent speed rating for determining experience gain/loss.

This would prevent the exploit of slow monster for massive experience gains and regulate it to simply another escape method.

As well as negating the experience loss from potions of boost speed.

(Note: I myself rarely use either of these so am not greatly invested in whether it changes or not, but I think it is a sensible solution to ~75-80% of the conversations which come up regarding speed.)
Issue Details
Issue Number 3973
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-10-2015 02:30 PM
Ancient Member
I always wondered why speed affects XP but nothing else does.

11-10-2015 06:44 PM
I think that makes sense, but if such a change were implemented I think something would need to be done about late-game exp gain, otherwise ultra endings could become a bore if you don't find a balor room on D47 or something.

11-10-2015 09:09 PM
All the experience gain tricks were always fairly nonsensical. I've also never understood why the PC should get an XP penalty for being faster.

11-10-2015 09:14 PM
Well never used this exploit and still don't see XP as a problem. End game becomes boring regardless of it.

Anyways, change do make sense. I'd rater remove speed both permanent and temporary from XP equation completely. Don't see why player should be punished for his high speed and for using slow monster which isn't very popular already.

11-17-2015 09:20 PM
Personally I like the idea that being slowed made your battle harder, and therefore you came out of it more experienced, than if you just peppered the Ancient Black Dragon with papercuts until all its scales eventually fell off.
People using it as a trick or an exploit makes this issue worthy of consideration, but I'm not sure at what frequency this occurs.

11-17-2015 10:29 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
Personally I like the idea that being slowed made your battle harder, and therefore you came out of it more experienced, than if you just peppered the Ancient Black Dragon with papercuts until all its scales eventually fell off.
People using it as a trick or an exploit makes this issue worthy of consideration, but I'm not sure at what frequency this occurs.
I just find it inconsistent. AFAIK it's the only case in which your power level affects the XP gained.
Killing a black dragon in unarmed combat when I haven't trained unarmed makes my battle harder, but doesn't give me more experience.
Drinking a potion of Boost Strength makes it easier (assuming I'm melee), but doesn't give me less experience. But a potion of Boost Speed does give me less.

11-20-2015 02:46 PM
Ancient Member
I voted no because:

1. modified speed or not, you were being faster/slower during combat, with the corresponding easiness/handicap. This would be akin to using base Learning when determining how much castings you receive from book reading.

2. the only way I see to really make this mechanic "fair" would be for the game to keep track of what your speed was during each turn of combat and then make some sort of average (similar to how some MMORPGs observe damage dealt to a monster by each player and distribute XP accordingly when it dies), which sounds pretty complicated to implement.

11-20-2015 04:56 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
I just find it inconsistent. AFAIK it's the only case in which your power level affects the XP gained...
Good point there. Other matters don't result in XP changes even when they affect things to a similar extent.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I voted no because:...
As was that.
Probably the only fair way to fix this issue is to prevent speed from impacting on XP.

11-21-2015 03:09 PM
I'd rather have speed not effect XP gain at all.

11-21-2015 09:49 PM
Anyone who halves their speed to fight a serious threat is presenting a serious risk to their well being in exchange for a sizable experience gain. I use this tactic for my ultra games because gaining EXP in any other way is such a grueling experience that it will, in fact, become the hardest achievement in standard ADOM, surpassing the difficulty of the Ordinary Chaos God because of the level 45 requirement. Furthermore, it would make Ultras nigh-impossible with trolls, unless great care was taken into making it accessible to them.

I'm going to stay neutral. There's a fix to this, but unless it's explained in detail, I'm not for it.

11-21-2015 11:03 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Elitist
Anyone who halves their speed to fight a serious threat is presenting a serious risk to their well being in exchange for a sizable experience gain. I use this tactic for my ultra games because gaining EXP in any other way is such a grueling experience that it will, in fact, become the hardest achievement in standard ADOM, surpassing the difficulty of the Ordinary Chaos God because of the level 45 requirement. Furthermore, it would make Ultras nigh-impossible with trolls, unless great care was taken into making it accessible to them.

I'm going to stay neutral. There's a fix to this, but unless it's explained in detail, I'm not for it.
Basically you're saying that there are two faults in game: speed in experience equation and experience curves. But they work together well because serves as exploit to fix the other... Yeah, that's true but that's not right...

+ Reply