quitting
issueid=4143 12-06-2015 08:44 PM
Number of reported issues by ism: 1
quitting
stuck

Hi
I am playing deluxe version and cant use keyboard so when i try to quit game it will ask y/n and i cant click those with mouse and im stuck. I can circumvent if i play in window mode and use windows keyboard but that kinda kills atmosphere for me. I remember when i tried free version at summer i had similar problems in town when talking people and going up/down if i remember correctly (not sure) so i was thinking maybe adding answer button(left click yes and right to no or two separate buttons) to right side would fix all these situations?
Issue Details
Issue Number 4143
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows Vista (Steam)
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users jt, Zeno
Tags (none)

12-06-2015 09:41 PM
I think, overall, any of those situations where you have the "y/n?" queries (eg: diving into water with no swim-skill, leaving a town, quitting, saving+quitting), those should be a pop-up window -- like the tutorial windows -- with "yes" and "no" buttons on them, so they can be clicked.

I started playing the Steam version just recently (had played the ASCII version for many years), and tried as much as possible to play it with the new interface elements available to me -- almost entirely using the mouse. The one thing that was occasionally brining me to a halt, and breaking my immersion in the game, was those yes/no moments, because they weren't accessible with the mouse at all.

12-07-2015 12:15 AM
Quote Originally Posted by tkoyah
I think, overall, any of those situations where you have the "y/n?" queries (eg: diving into water with no swim-skill, leaving a town, quitting, saving+quitting), those should be a pop-up window -- like the tutorial windows -- with "yes" and "no" buttons on them, so they can be clicked.
I kinda agree, it might be irritating for mouse users absence of a way to answer any prompts (not only yes / no) and having a popup dialogs for these kind of situations sounds reasonable.

However dialog in the center of the screen will be overlapping important parts of the map which might help to make a dicision.

Once this is fixed,

Could it be kept as is for keyboard users - no dialog if mouse cursor is already hidden by NotEye until mouse is moved?
Or could it be configurable through NotEye / config settings?

12-08-2015 01:49 AM
I'd rather not see too many more popup windows, especially one this common - but you should be able to click on the Y or N rather than have to type them, or else have a small icon show up to click for assent or dissent somewhere in the HUD?

12-28-2015 09:51 AM
The Creator
I think we really should do popup windows for these kinds of questions in NotEye (at least all the spots on the ADOM code where 'Sure' and 'Really' are called).

12-28-2015 11:19 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
I think we really should do popup windows for these kinds of questions in NotEye (at least all the spots on the ADOM code where 'Sure' and 'Really' are called).
Any chance to get existing behavior automatically if mouse cursor is hidden or get existing behavior depending on config variable?

12-28-2015 10:27 PM
I don't get the resistance to this change ixi. Most of the time it's pretty obvious stuff - quit/save+quit/leave-town - so the window isn't going to be covering anything important. If it's something like diving into the water, and it covers up a part of the map that helps you decide if you really want to do that (but why would it? surely you know the water square you just tried to enter), you can always press "n", see your situation, then try it again if you really want to.

What situation do you imagine where the dialogue box might get in the way?

12-28-2015 11:31 PM
Quote Originally Posted by tkoyah
What situation do you imagine where the dialogue box might get in the way?
Let me throw an example - interrupting continuous action. Reading, eating, (un)equipping body armor. That's just an example, probably there are more situations.
The main cause is a bit different: a) I don't like playing with mouse, b) I don't like popups, c) I like how prompts are done currently.

I agree, this feature is musthave but if supporting for existing prompts isn't too harsh - I would really like to see it.

12-29-2015 04:54 AM
Okay, fair enough. ..How about if the dialogue positioned itself near a corner, rather than in the middle of the screen. Yes or No could either be clicked, or activated with a press of "y" or "n". Would that be less troublesome?
(I think, in the course of this discussion, it has never been suggested that these prompts would *require* a mouse-click .. pressing of "y" or "n" would always work.)

01-04-2016 09:49 PM
Ancient Member
I like using NotEye but refuse to use the mouse.

I don't want popups showing up for me. so at least I'd like an option to disable them.

+ Reply