Redesign Pick Pockets (again)
issueid=2384 10-05-2013 10:02 PM
Number of reported issues by asdf: 54
Redesign Pick Pockets (again)

Pick Pockets was changed in pre7. (c) http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1204

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
I have applied a few adjustments hopefully finding a decent middle ground between "too scummable" and "useless". Time will tell :-)
Time told - before this change, in 1.1.1 - Pick Pockets were easy, universal and usable by everyone. Just press buttons and collect your extra loot. Currently it is _still the same_ in regards to loot, but it requires *3-*5 more key clicks usually... making it unnecessary grindy.

Suggestion - Make lvl 1 Pick Pockets the same as 1.1.1 or even better (like 50% success rate with skill at 1 due to Dx/Stealth/whatever bonuses there were), but a sharp decline in Pick Pockets chance with monsters DL, while keeping it always high for Thiefs.

In playstyle it would look like this, assuming Pick Pockets + Dx + Stealth/4 - location DL*5 chance (DL*2 for Thiefs, DL*4 for Merchants/Gnomes with innate Pick Pockets skill, DL*3 for Gnome Merchants?) -
1) Level 1 character acquires Pick Pockets and levels it up a little bit, to 30 for example. Success rate for level 1 monsters - 30-60% depending on Dx and Stealth.
2) Level 15 character gets 100 in Pick Pockets skill. However, due to sharp decline in chance (lets say, -5%/level) - he still could only get 30-60% chance on level 15 monsters, even with maxed skill - there would be where everyone start to fall off and only Thiefs could still pick pocket with amazing chance.
3) Level 30 character with 100 in Pick Pockets skill, 100 in Stealth and 35 Dx - would only barely manage to pickpocket level 30 monsters with 10% chance. End of story.

It solves several problems with current Pick Pockets -
1) Removes mindless grind with hotkeyed skill - a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14a14 to pickpocket goblins on level 1 and complete thief guild quest - base chance would be a lot higher. Also training Pick Pockets to 1dLe + 1dDx + 5 instead of 1 could be more appropriate.
2) Removes ability for everyone to use Pick Pockets efficiently - there would be a distinct difference between clumsy troll and stealthy dark elven assassin, even not counting Thiefs.
3) Removes ability to dump several skill points into Pick Pockets and dont care anymore until special locations like both Graveyards - skill would fall off quickly if you dont care about it.
4) Removes Pick Pockets influence in late game for everyone except Thiefs. Speeds up the game! yay!

Overall i think this is one of the most annoying features in the game currently, with "First Dwarf quest gives you too rare monsters and breaks normal flow of the quest line" and "Spider factories and other summoning monsters are too grindy and unrewarding" being in this list too.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2384
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-22-2014 08:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
I strongly believe that the idea of pocket picking is neat but I agree that the current implementation is not helpful. We'll continue to fiddle with it ;-)

I have applied the following adjustments:
- Instead of 100 marks you now just need 30 marks to get inducted into the thieves guild.
- Robbing shops has become a lot more valuable.
- Heavier items stolen are slightly more valuable to becoming inducted to the thieves guild.
- The probability of successfully stealing has been increased somewhat.
- In turn item value now depends on the basic threat level of the monster.
Is there any additional bonuses for Thiefs? Currently i fail to see a difference between them and any other class (given ~80 Pick Pockets, which is relatively easy to get for anyone), and it makes sense to make Pick Pockets easy for them as a hidden class bonus.

+ Reply