Accept "Y" to open doors
issueid=5643 11-11-2017 10:45 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Al-Khwarizmi: 62
Accept "Y" to open doors

In the last version, the open door dialog was updated to accept "Space" to open the door. I would be grateful if "y" were accepted too, as it's deeply ingrained in my muscle memory after opening the doors by bumping into them and pressing "y" for more than 15 years.

It would be fine if this is an undocumented key that isn't mentioned in the dialog, that way it would help us old-timers but it wouldn't affect the experience for new players at all as they wouldn't even know it exists.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5643
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 9
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version ADOM 3.0.1
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-11-2017 11:58 PM
Hm while I understand your problem (I'm facing the same issue), leaving random undocumented, inconsistent key bindings lying around is never good for maintaining/expanding the code in the future. Retraining your muscles may take a bit, but not all that much, in the end it's just a momentary annoyance if you keep playing regularly.

11-12-2017 08:14 AM
Ancient Member
I see your point, and I would understand if the feature is not implemented for that kind of reason. However, in this particular case, I think the probability that there will ever be an action starting with an "y" involving a door is vanishingly small, so I don't think it should conflict with anything in the future.

However if the devs consider this to go against code maintainability, I'll just adapt to pressing "o" or "space", it's of course not a big deal.

11-12-2017 09:54 AM
Yes i think this should be more intuitive:

Do yo want to open the door (Y/N) ? (press space for default action)

11-12-2017 10:36 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by emilus
Yes i think this should be more intuitive:

Do yo want to open the door (Y/N) ? (press space for default action)
That was the previous behavior but the point is that now there are further options displayed for doors, that's why it's no longer a yes/no question and the "y" option is not displayed. I think that's fine, I'm just proposing that the "y" key still work, for the sake of muscle memory, even though it's not displayed.

11-12-2017 11:50 AM
You found a door:
Do you want to open it ? (space - default)
[y] yes
[n] no
[k] yes - by kicking them
[e] no - just examine it

your choice [y,n,k,e Space to open, Z to abort]

I dont like 'o' key because its far from my left hand, and i want to keep my right hand focused on numeric keys :) - also muscle momory - what Al-Khwarizmi stated in this post

11-13-2017 12:04 AM
The Creator
Fixed. I hvae decided to make 'Y' a hidden option instead of what emilus suggested because the idea of the current key mapping is that it should train the memory of new players to associate the correct standard keys with the actions to handle doors.

11-13-2017 05:56 PM
Thank you - love having that Y back!
Also liked your suggestion of the most common option in some dialogues being selectable via the SPACE key, though - was that implemented? In this case it'd either be the hidden 'y' or 'o' for Open.

+ Reply