Mode Names, generally - plus pick one name for Hard/Roguelike/Classic mode!
issueid=5604 11-04-2017 04:07 PM
Number of reported issues by Kelibath: 25
Mode Names, generally - plus pick one name for Hard/Roguelike/Classic mode!
As requested, an RFE for game mode names.

Currently the main ADOM story is playable in four different modes - listed in-game as Tutorial, Standard mode, Hard (roguelike) mode, and Personalized mode - with achievements only available via the third of those.
To my design sensibilities these terms all feel very disparate and in need of unification under a proper naming schema.
Additionally, "Hard" mode is simultaneously referred to throughout the game and community as "Classic" and "Roguelike" mode, so it'd be good to lock down just one main title and accompanying hotkey there to avoid confusion! After all it's always possible to include further details explaining what a "Roguelike" is, that the mode is based on "Classic ADOM gameplay", or that it enables Achievements, in the description displayed in the textbox on the right when the title is moused over.

I recommend standardising a set of terms that intuitively link to one another in content and intent and that are pleasing when taken together as a group. For example "Normal Mode" suggests the existence of "Hard Mode"; whereas including both "Normal"/"Standard" and "Classic" causes confusion unless there's a non-tutorial, easier mode name listed first to imply a gradual difficulty slope.

Here are some options:

Casual, Normal and Classic
Casual, Standard and Classic
Tutorial, Simplified and Classic..........................(closest match to what the modes at present actually provide)
Simplified, Standard and Roguelike
Tutorial, Standard and Roguelike.......................(closest match to current names)
Easy, Normal and Hard
Tutorial, Normal and Hard

Any of these can also be used with the suffix "Mode" included afterward, with the possible exception of "Tutorial Mode" - it's good idea to include or omit this uniformly, either way, and capitalise it if kept.

I also recommend changing Personalized / Personalized Mode to Custom / Custom Mode to avoid localisation issues.
"Personalized" is a specifically US-English spelling which is thus slightly jarring for UK-English players, moreso when it shows up in big bold letters on the main menu.
It's totally reasonable in a game written in US English with no UK localisation available, but the problem can be easily avoided if desired; most games I know go for "Custom" instead for this reason and so it's also the industry standard.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5604
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-14-2017 12:01 PM
Issue Changed by adom-admin