'w5' no longer does anything when a monster is in sight
issueid=5445 10-18-2017 07:10 PM
Number of reported issues by Harkila: 154
'w5' no longer does anything when a monster is in sight

When a monster enters your range of sight, pressing 'w5' no longer passes any turns. Makes e.g. resting on the spot and live sacrificing very tedious.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5445
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Creator Feedback
Priority 4
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.5
Fixed Version ADOM 2.3.6
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-22-2017 09:00 PM
The Creator
You mean with the "You face a potentially hostile monster"? That's (IIRC) always been the case?

10-22-2017 10:51 PM
Not really, no. In previous versions, when a nonhostile monster stayed in your visual perimeter and did not come adjacent to you, its movement was allowed by w5, interrupted only if it got next to you. Now, nothing happens even when a monster is on the border of your visual range - actually not even one turn passes when you see a monster.

10-22-2017 11:51 PM
The Creator
Fixed.

This petition for a change to In Progress was rejected
11-11-2017 07:11 PM
Actually this one is not fixed - it's still there in 2.3.8.

It doesn't happen always, but
please find attached a case. Pressing 'w5' with the barbarian there did not cause turns to pass.
At least in this case, it seems to occur when the monsters come from the south - I also encountered some monsters from the west where 'w5' worked properly.

EDIT: must have confused myself somehow, it indeed seems to happen every single time. I was no longer able to reproduce the case where it would not have been occurring.

11-20-2017 07:40 AM
Also still there in 3.0.2.
Not sure if related, but you don't seem to be able to use w5 in ToEF either, even with fire immunity.

11-21-2017 10:23 AM
The Creator
@Harkila: w5 in ToEF works perfectly for me (at least with fire immunity).

11-21-2017 10:26 AM
The Creator
BTW walk mode being stopped when a hostile monster enters visual range _is_ intentional... as otherwise you could easily be killed by spells, breath weapons, missiles, ...

11-21-2017 11:26 AM
Problem is not that it stops when a monster enters visual range, that has been the case forever and it's a good feature.
Problem is that you can't w5 your way forward from there. Not even a single turn passes, not to mention allowing it to come next to you, like it has been previously. Previously the sequence has been w5 -> monster enters LoS, turns cease to pass -> w5 again -> turns pass until another monster enters LoS or first monster gets adjacent. Now it's w5 -> monster enters LoS, turns cease to pass -> w5 again -> nothing happens.

It makes things like resting up and live saccing much more tedious and also more dangerous, as the feasible way to circumvent it is to hold down 5.

I'll re-check ToEF and add a savefile if I reproduce it.

EDIT: Looks like ToEF in general allows w5'ing, but on the temple level there seems to be something that constantly interrupts it. In the attached savefile (Flip.zip) only 1-2 turns elapse for each attempt, and I can't tell what the reason for that is.

12-09-2017 02:49 PM
The Creator
I'll examine this.

+ Reply