Weapon/Character sizing
issueid=683 11-25-2011 04:31 PM
Number of reported issues by electric_wizard: 6
Weapon/Character sizing

I noticed that when playing with a 'small' character, holding a regular rapier that I was training my 1 handed sword skill rather than 2 handed sword, even though the use of the oversized weapon was preventing me from equipping anything in my off hand.

I actually think that the way sizes of weapons are handled needs a bit of tweaking. For example, as a small character, it takes 2 hands to wield a regular sized dagger. Realistically, what is the difference between a medium dagger and a small sword? Also, a buff hurthling should really be more able to swing a heavy sword than a weak elf.

How about having it work on the strength of the character VS the weight of the weapon as smaller characters will tend to have lower strength anyway.

I also think players should be free to equip weapons that are too heavy for their character. This would cause them to receive penalties (dependant on the disparity) as they struggle to control their weapon, but would also train strength.

And whether a weapon is "1 hand" or "2 hand" could also be left to the player too. I don't see why a strong enough character couldn't wield a polearm in 1 hand and a shield in the other if they chose to do so.
Issue Details
Issue Number 683
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.2.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-26-2011 04:51 PM
I think this idea needs more detail. How about this:

There are two traits given to each weapon: size and weight.

Now, for weight, strength is key. The character's ability to use the weapon would be controlled by the character's Strength, size, and number of hands available. Perhaps the "size" value is associated with a weight - say, 10s. Now, you multiply this weight by the strength number and the number of hands - such a character with strength 20 would be able to easily wield up to weight 200s with one hand, or up to weight 400s with two hands. Anything above this, and the character sees both to-hit and damage penalties. However, the PC would be able to wield one-handed weapons in two hands, or vice-versa, or in extra hands for that matter.

The second factor, size, would affect this in a different way - rather than being a factor that causes penalties for going too heavy, it instead limits usability. For instance, a troll would be rather unable to hold a small sword with two hands - it's just not feasible. A hurthling, on the other hand, would be unable to get the leverage necessary to handle a large mace without having more than two hands. These apply irrespective of strength, and are physical limitations that can only be overcome by dexterity.

Here's how I'd handle size: Character size as a number between 1 and 5 (1 being very small, 5 being very large). To this number, you add number of hands used, then subtract the item's size value. If the absolute value of the result is less than 2+(Dx/25), then the character can wield the weapon in that way. Note that this could probably be coded more efficiently as integers by multiplying everything by 25.

I would also add an extra case: one-handed weapons that such that the character size is larger than the weapon size. Such weapons would effectively act like extensions to hands, rather than full-fledged weapons. Consider the dagger - in real life, if you had one dagger, and was fighting, you wouldn't just use the dagger, you'd also use your other fist. However, if you had a sword, you likely wouldn't try to also use your fist - instead, you would use the extra hand to help stabilise when using the sword to block.

In this regard, I would make some "normal" weapons smaller than typical - normal daggers would actually only be size 1, for instance. Meanwhile, a typical quarterstaff would be size 5, making it a two-handed weapon for a normal-size character with typical starting dexterity.

Does all that make sense?

11-27-2011 04:19 AM
I was actually thinking about making some kind of reference chart for how I think various-sized characters should handle various-sized weapons. I have yet to work up the energy to do so.

Anyway, keep in mind it's not just about whether a PC is strong enough to wield a weapon--the PC also has to be strong enough to use it effectively. Just because you can hold a large club in one hand doesn't mean that you can swing it around in combat effectively--momentum has to be taken into account.

Also, some weapons might just be too big to hold. A hurthling of average size should not be able to hold a giant's sword, no matter how many hands s/he may have. Even if s/he were strong enough to pick it up, his/her hands are still small, and it is unlikely that they could properly grasp the hilt of such a weapon.

11-29-2011 11:34 AM
It would also be nice to see a 'monkey grip' styled talent in adom at some point that would allow you to either 1) use larger weapons/shields, or 2) give you a lesser negative for using weapons/shields larger than your size... didn't feel like making a new thread for one lil suggestion and it seemed like it fits well with your ideas :)

+ Reply