Special Properties for Vampires
issueid=3352 10-15-2014 04:21 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Special Properties for Vampires

I'd like to propose two special behaviours for Vampires, and perhaps a few very similar undead.

1) Vampires regain some health if they hurt the PC (or another enemy if they're a slave). Reasoning: Vampires are blood suckers, and gain their strength from their opponents' injuries. Vampiric weapons already act this way, so there's some precedent ingame.

2) Vampires should go berserk if the PC starts bleeding. For obvious reasons.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3352
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r51
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-16-2014 03:10 AM
Ancient Member
Both make sense thematically, but vampires are already scary enough in melee for my taste...

10-16-2014 10:55 AM
Ancient Member
If it's swapped for St and To drain, then yes. If it's on top of their powers - I'm kinda scared.

10-16-2014 08:44 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think they are that threatening at this point, they have a high toughness and an occasional drain attack but nothing too serious. The RFE makes sense.
On the other hand I usually encounter vampires at the point where I don't really care how tough they are because I can handle them with ease anyway.

10-17-2014 02:31 PM
No more berserking, that's way too abundant already.

If they manage to damage an already bleeding PC, they could get healed for added flavour. As this doesn't happen so often, the amount of healing could be a bit more than "slightly".

10-17-2014 08:10 PM
What about characters becoming vampires or werewolves when seriously damaged by them? Depending on the moon your tactic could only be more aggressive, getting damaged by the sun in the wilderness, taking more damage from silver weapons, maybe an special bite attack in both cases (like kicking), special methods to remove the curses, maybe by killing an older vampire/werewolf... So many fun possibilities! :D

10-18-2014 11:02 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
If it's swapped for St and To drain, then yes. If it's on top of their powers - I'm kinda scared.
I agree. In fact I've always considered stat drains to be a quite lame and unfun mechanic in its current state - so swapping it for new, much more exciting abilities is a win-win IMHO.

11-24-2014 09:45 AM
I don't like the idea of Berserk + Stat Drain together. It makes Vampires way more lethal for those that have problems with them, and adds little for those that can handle them already.

More interesting I think to take away stat drain, add the blood-berserk, AND make vampires way more likely to inflict bleeding (maybe armour piercing?). Making the lifedrain was dependant on bleeding would be awesome thematically, if possible.

So:

The Vampire hits you. The vampire draws blood!
[[Bleeding]]
The Vampire goes into a frenzy at the scent of blood! The Vampire hits you. The Vampire looks healed. The Vampire missed you. The Vampire hits you. The Vampire looks healed.

+ Reply