Fix monsters squeezing past one another (and cut down on message spam)
issueid=1505 12-20-2012 05:36 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by SirTheta: 79
Fix monsters squeezing past one another (and cut down on message spam)
Monsters you are fighting should not switch place

One of the more annoying things about p7 is that monsters you are fighting now switch place (and more monsters in general). Now, I understand that this was a general fix for meatshields (although I personally don't think that was a problem..), but it is super annoying to constantly cycle through what you're fighting (especially in places like vaults or tension rooms). To top it all off, it creates an incredible, incredible amount of message spam.

My suggested fix(es): do not show messages for place switching unless the switcher switches into a place that is 2 tiles from PC (i.e. tiles next to PC, plus the tiles next to them). [edit: in retrospect, as JS points out, it would probably be fine to only show message for switching into tiles next to PC] Also, if a monster has been injured by the PC in the last turn (maybe last two turns to account for misses? but then one could damage/heal, though I don't know why one would), do not allow it to be switched out--unless it is panicking.

edit: I'd also like to note that I think a perfectly fine fix would be to changing this back to the way it was (except maybe orb guardians or something? was it broken there? I should probably look up entry where it was fixed). Having a meatshield used to be a pretty inventive way of escaping from a bad situation, and even provided a use for wand of monster creation/summon monsters spell. Of course, it's applicability was quite rare, so it wasn't really overpowered..
Issue Details
Issue Number 1505
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-09-2013 04:15 PM
Issue Changed by adom-admin