[RFE] Change limits for stat training, allow base stats to be higher than potentials
issueid=3119 07-12-2014 04:48 PM
Number of reported issues by SinsI: 41
[RFE] Change limits for stat training, allow base stats to be higher than potentials
Use potential maximums instead of arbitrary limits to limit stat training, allow base stats to be higher than potentials

Before the changes to stat training in 1.2, after you've trained a stat to a potential maximum you could continue to train it and it would lead to increasing the potential maximum - which made those potential stat maximums irrelevant, and lead to introduction of new, hidden actual potential maximums that were universal for all characters - 25 for herb training, 17 for Strained Strength training, 25 for crystals of knowledge training, etc.

In 1.2 potential stat training was removed, but limits still stayed - which means that if you have a Strength of, say, 23, and potential maximum of 37 - you can't reach that maximum by training, which is extremely counterintuitive. What's far worse, any Strength draining for that character is irreversible and unfixable via training, especially since those arbitrary limits now use base stat value instead of current value so you can't use status afflictions or items to raise the training bar.

I suggest to remove all the arbitrary limits on training, using potential stat maximums instead.

Also, it might be a good idea to not instantly stop the training once it reaches those maximums, but to slow it down exponentially. This would necessitate renaming them to "stat aptitude", allowing to have base stat values higher than those maximums.
This way if you have a Strength Aptitude of, say, 10, you can still train it to 15 - but it is much, much harder.

One interesting side effect is that potions of Stat or Gain Attributes won't have to raise Aptitudes if the stat is already at maximum.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3119
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r48
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-16-2014 01:01 AM
I think it's extremely counter-intuitive that you have 'potential maximums' that you can't realisticly reach. To my mind it's far worse to have newbies confused than it is to have newbies grinding (In fact, I still don't see the problem with anybody grinding, ever - but I do NOT want to sidetrack onto that arguement because it goes on forever.)

Much, much better to remove the hidden ceiling and lower potentials, so that your potentials can actually be reached by normal methods.

07-16-2014 03:54 PM
I worked potentials into a pen and paper RPG works this way.
Every level, each stat rolls 1d(stat potential). If the roll is higher than the current value, it is raised. (so a char with 10 str and 18 str potential needs to roll anywhere from 10-18). Once the value is maxed, any full value roll increased the number past maximum.
Obviously Adom works signigicantly different, but I agree with the premis of the RFE that it is illogical to have potentials and a set numerical hidden limit. Have a % or some such thing to limit training, or simply reduce potentials in themselves and allow unlimited training to them (which I am not wholly in favor of, but others have suggested).

07-16-2014 04:45 PM
Ancient Member
I really like how attributes are hard to increase now when their potential is reached. That way elves stay elves for a while and don't become trolls once the first herb patch is found.

But at the same time I want to have the possibility to increase my attribute if the potential is not yet reached. Make it hard, make the possibility really really small, but give me that little bit of luck to hope for when eating wights/ogres/whatever.

+ Reply