Information layers in ASCII mode?
issueid=2904 04-28-2014 07:46 AM
Number of reported issues by mimhoff: 8
Information layers in ASCII mode?
Allowing ASCII mode users to get information that is now available with NotEye

I like the new information that is now available in NotEye mode, like monster hostility and monster health.

But how can that same information be communicated to the player in the more limited ASCII mode?

Perhaps there could be a key that redraws the screen in different "layers" of information.

The health layer gives each monster its usual symbol, but coloured dark green/green/yellow/red/dark red for not/slightly/moderately/severely/critically injured.

The hostility layer similarly colours each monster according to the spectrum that is used.

Once the player takes an action the screen is redrawn in its default state with all monsters their usual symbol and colour.

Extending the idea:
I see RFEs for colourblind users too... in colourblind mode the monster symbols could be changed to represent damage/hostility, maybe as numbers from 1-5.
I would also like to see a "no monsters" mode that shows items and traps beneath monsters.
Both of these could be dangerous for the player though if they forget which monsters they are looking at!
There are many variables that *could* be rendered in this way actually... monster danger or experience level for instance... but of course it is up to the Creator what we should be able to see.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2904
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-28-2014 12:10 PM
Ancient Member
In ASCII you can use the 'l'ook command to find out monster aggression levels, the best would probably be to just extend the health status to the 'l'ook command too.

04-28-2014 01:08 PM
That's already the case... when you are standing adjacent to the monster in question. So maybe the two versions of the game are a bit inconsistent in the information they show to the player.

04-28-2014 11:00 PM
Ancient Member
Yes, I mean it should should be extended to all monsters, those further than one tile away also.

+ Reply