Make two-handed weapons more common
issueid=1627 01-03-2013 11:09 AM
Number of reported issues by tootboot: 5
Make two-handed weapons more common

Two handed weapons seem relatively uncommon compared to 1-handers and missile weapons, at least early on (maybe this changes later in the game). Bare minimum I find three or four 1-handers for every two-handed weapons I find.

Not using a shield already has drawbacks, especially in the early game, I don't see why the weapons should be a lot less common as well. From a realism standpoint I can't think of any reason why two handed weapons would be so rare.

Potential balance implications: You'd be more likely to kill early monsters in one hit, though several race/class combos can already do that all throughout the early game. You'd also be less survivable than you would with a shield so maybe it's not a big issue?
Issue Details
Issue Number 1627
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-03-2013 04:55 PM
It may be (pure guess here) that the commonness of these items is based on lore. For example, what if it turns out that clubs are more common in the Drakalor chain than swords, for no other reason than that more of the people living in the area use clubs? So be it. Adventurers will simply have to adapt....

In real life, pikes were much more common than swords because of the ease of use. Give 60 peasants a pike each and say "pointy end goes in the enemy," but swords were the domain of highly trained samurai due in large part to the learning curve.

In game terms, I don't know. Convenience vs realism vs playability .... /shrug

01-03-2013 11:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
It may be (pure guess here) that the commonness of these items is based on lore. For example, what if it turns out that clubs are more common in the Drakalor chain than swords, for no other reason than that more of the people living in the area use clubs? So be it. Adventurers will simply have to adapt....
Yes, but we don't know that to be the case. One could come up with potential lore justifications for the status quo of pretty much every design decision in the game.

01-10-2013 06:23 PM
The Creator
I don't intend to change the distribution, now that p9 will make certain two-handed weapons more powerful.

+ Reply