Eliminate identification exploits
issueid=1461 12-16-2012 02:13 PM
Number of reported issues by Aielyn: 17
Eliminate identification exploits

At this point, there are a number of items that can be identified through exploits. That is, items that can be identified by the fact that they give a message or react to the user interface in a way that other similar items don't, even though the PC couldn't possibly tell the difference.

Chief amongst these is the Ring of Djinni Summoning exploit. Although as far as the PC is concerned, it is just a ring like all of the others, if the player has the PC go to the overworld map and tries to 'U'se the ring, it informs them that you can't use it in the overworld map (I believe it says "Not Here", but I could be mistaken). Other rings suggest that you try to wear the ring to gain any effects. As a result, the player is able to identify a ring to be a Ring of Djinni Summoning, even though the PC couldn't possibly know that the ring is more 'U'sable than other rings.

In this particular case, it is easily solved by simply having all rings say "Not Here" if you attempt to 'U'se them on the overworld map.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1461
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-25-2016 01:20 PM
Completely unnecessary: by the time you find a Ring of Djinni Summoning, you already have plenty of normal identification methods, as well have identified most of the common rings.

01-25-2016 03:06 PM
Ancient Member
Well, if you have normal specification methods, then you should have to spend one, and not save it with a cheap exploit.

Voted yes.

01-25-2016 08:49 PM
"identification exploits" suggests multiple, yet you only give RoDS as an example. What else do you consider an exploit? I agree that wilderness identification "method" for RoDS is dodgy.

01-26-2016 03:03 AM
Rightly identified as a low-priority thing that should probably be fixed. But as yhall003 says, you're really short on examples of ID exploits. Are you aware of others? What are they?

01-26-2016 03:32 AM
What about the fact that the RoDS sells for much more than any other non-artifact ring? Is this an exploit to be fixed? I'm not being sarcastic - ADOM could be changed so that shopkeepers offer the same (low) price for any unidentified ring, for instance, sort of like nethack and gems, if I remember right. Could be a fun change.

01-26-2016 04:56 AM
Shop selling and item weights are almost certainly valid ID methods. Using an item shouldn't give you any information about it unless it's actually used - comparable to, say, zapping an unID'd wand with 0 charges shouldn't tell you what wand it is unless you use the final charge.

This might happen with Crystals of Knowledge too? I've never tried since I didn't know this was a thing.

01-26-2016 05:22 AM
Ancient Member
I think IBM manual still has different picture from other scrolls in tiles mode. I would call that exploit.
p.s. you can use knowledge crystals in wilderness, like can put HMV on map without going through UD.

+ Reply