Rebalance Thrundarr quests
issueid=1880 01-28-2013 10:13 PM
Number of reported issues by BenMathiesen: 99

While it felt faintly ridiculous for Thrundarr to assign a giant rat as the first quest, I now find myself exploring the Tomb of the High Kings and the Rift before I meet one of the rare monsters that he assigns in p10. The problem vis-a-vis gameplay is that characters are likely to reach levels 18-20 before completing the quest, and quests 2 through 5 are far too easy for such characters.

In earlier versions, I would try to complete all Thrundarr's quests when in the early teens, while the forest, the dwarven halls, and the ogre cave are a real challenge. There is also the interesting tradeoff for rapidly advancing characters of whether to get them done before clearing the pyramid.

I think it would be fine to restore the previous behavior; one of the benefits of Thrundarr assigning a common monster is that you can get his quest rewards earlier. Alternatively:

• Have Thrundarr assign a monster with danger level vaguely appropriate for the character's level, but not a rare monster.
  • Have Thrundarr assign a rare monster, but introduce code to force generation of the monster in a reasonable time. For example, if the quest is active, then each time a monster is generated of the right DL, it has a 10% chance to be the quest monster.
  • Keep the current behavior (p10), but change the order of the quests and/or rewards. For example, why not assign the AF/DH and ogre cave quests before the random monster? The dwarves need news, after all, more than they need a dead master swordsman. :-)
Issue Details
Issue Number 1880
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 29
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-21-2014 05:23 PM
Ancient Member
Let's see how the pre21 changes works out.

Worth pointing out that, in 1.1.1 at least, generally you wanted to (and was usually possible for ~95% of PCs) complete this quest before ever entering the Pyramid. This was pretty useful, because it meant that you'd have access to the fireball wand for the fight with Rahetep.

02-23-2014 01:49 PM
The only problem here is that the first quest relies on monsters that you are not supposed to find until much later in the game, making the following quest absurd. Easy solution: swap the first two quests, making the AF the quest to prove your valor.

02-24-2014 01:01 AM
Ancient Member
Dervi: no, that's the wrong solution. Thrundarr's quest can be taken starting at level 6. There's no need to switch things around or anything like that, the first quest just needs to be made appropriate (like it sort of used to be). I agree with JS that we need to wait to p21 to reevaluate how the new quest works.

02-24-2014 01:31 AM
Having been assigned the quest a number of times I would agree it assigns relatively uncommon monsters, sometimes stuff I've never even seen before. Nonetheless one of the required monster usually turns up relatively quickly exploring between Dwarftown and the Animated Forest. I only remember having a no-show once when I was assigned a Troll Berserker.

02-24-2014 02:03 PM
Hill Giant Chieftain. Where the hell do you find them? My last character that won only killed 7 of them, almost as many will'o'whisps. By the time I actually find one my cent character will be significant higher then level 6! Last time I had to find a large rust monster. That took a bit of looking for (in the ID I think) but not this much!

02-24-2014 03:46 PM
Ancient Member
Hill giant chieftains are part of one of the wilderness encounters IIRC. Need to be above level 15.

02-24-2014 04:03 PM
Yeah level 19 only managed 2 encounters so far (mainly wizards and orcs instead), 4 giants per encounter, no chiefs. Wastes so much game time without 7LBs.

+ Reply