Spellbook RNG
issueid=4877 08-04-2017 11:16 PM
Number of reported issues by 4b5urd: 3
Spellbook RNG
Wizards can get extremely different spellbooks each playthrough

Wizards have a lot of randomness in their starting books. They do always get a bolt spell, so at least they aren't SOL (at least not right away), but not all bolt spells are made equal. You can start with anything from Acid Bolt and Revelation to Magic Missile, Light, and Invisibilty! I've been playing a lot of Mist Elven Wizards recently, and even with their superhuman levels of Mana and Willpower, I rarely get enough PP to cast Acid Bolt twice without relying on PP regen, which is really slow for the first one or two levels before you can max Concentration; this problem would be magnified for other Wizards starting with Acid Bolt since they will have much less starting PP due to lower Mana and Willpower scores. So what I propose is that Wizards always start with Magic Missile, maybe add one or two other possibilities like Fire Bolt or Frost Bolt for this slot, but Magic Missile is particularly interesting because no monster is immune to it (though they can shrug it off) and it bounces, something I used to curse for the chance of hitting myself, but now really enjoy because of the cool trick shots I can do with it. The second and/or third spellbook can still be highly randomized, although level 1 PCs probably should not get spells like Magic Map, Teleportation, or Invisibility in their starting books, all of which I have gotten at least once. Maybe limit the second spellbook to Light, Darkness, Knock, Magic Key, or an offense spell.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4877
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 10
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 7
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

+ Reply