Toughness Training
issueid=3842 08-30-2015 10:45 PM
palandus
Number of reported issues by palandus:
Toughness Training
Provide a small amount of Toughness Training when you take 0 damage from an attack due to high PV.

It would make sense to me that you would be able to increase your toughness when you get hit, but don't suffer any damage.

Like my Dexterity Training idea, it could cap at 20 Toughness.

So those who have abused their Toughness by casting from HP, and have high PV, could have their Toughness trained every time they get hit but take zero damage.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3842
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 8.1 (NotEye)
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-30-2015 11:24 PM
Why should watching a pack of summoned rats trying to chew through your +2 mithril cap, +4 cloak of protection and +3 mithril boots influence Toughness? Again, seems like nothing more than making suggestions for your own convenience.

08-30-2015 11:38 PM
palandus
Firstly, well, because you can gain strength by hauling too much weight around. That doesn't make much sense to me. I'd think that carrying anything above burdened would damage strength rather than boost it, personally (you wreck your back hauling too much loot around). Thus, if strength is possible by hauling tons of stuff around, why not have toughness for taking hits but not suffering damage?

Or if you prefer, how about levelling toughness when you suffer a critical hit? Since there isn't really a way to train toughness via a physical activity, like Strength, I'd want to have a physical activity to level up toughness as well.

Secondly, why the hostility?

Thirdly, if I was going to suggest something for my own convenience, it would be something that didn't require grinding. It would take a lot of grinding to level up toughness in this manner.

08-31-2015 08:29 AM
Ancient Member
If grinding is involved, there are already effective ways of increasing toughness which do not require interaction with monsters.

08-31-2015 08:54 AM
Adding a way to train toughness would then need to be balanced by something that abuses it. You shouldn't just add stuff that makes the game easier.

09-02-2015 03:00 AM
Ancient Member
I think that if this is to be implemented, it should be the other way around: training Toughness a tiny bit every time you get hit and do take damage. After all, Strength goes up by walking around strained by the items you're carrying, not coping pretty well with that load.

09-03-2015 03:26 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I think that if this is to be implemented, it should be the other way around: training Toughness a tiny bit every time you get hit and do take damage. After all, Strength goes up by walking around strained by the items you're carrying, not coping pretty well with that load.
Yep. For the same reason it makes sense to only train skills when you fail to use them successfully. That way you can't grind. If you keep doing a task until it becomes trivial, you will no longer get any benefit from it. It's a self balancing system.

It's not like this would be game breaking, you can already pump up toughness with herbs with requires zero risk, at least this way you have to actually take damage. You probably don't want to use damage done by the pc to themselves for that purpose, otherwise you could just whip yourself until you were tough, although that arguably wouldn't be any more monotonous than herb grinding.

09-03-2015 03:27 AM
The real problem is that by early to mid game, your toughness and willpower potential *are* your toughness and willpower. 9 out of 10 times, you will hit that potential due to herbs. That makes no sense. Other stats are hard to raise, but toughness, the most important stat, arguably, is the easiest to raise.

+ Reply