Door Smashing
issueid=3847 08-31-2015 02:45 AM
palandus
Number of reported issues by palandus:
Door Smashing
Smash down a door with a weapon.

I don't think this is implemented, but, I'd like an option to use my weapon to smash a door rather than kick it. As there is going to be a whole host of ways of dying related to kicking, I'd like to have an alternative to getting doors out of my hero's way. Thus, implement a way to smash down doors with your weapon. You are just as likely to set off traps, but instead of damaging your foot, you damage your weapon instead.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3847
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 8.1 (NotEye)
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-31-2015 03:54 AM
Ancient Member
Kicking doors doesn't hurt your feet beyond setting off traps (though kicking walls at low PV can hurt you a bit).

08-31-2015 04:19 AM
palandus
Well, if you read the "So many ways to die..." at http://www.adom.de/home/index.html, several include dying by using the kick button. If you can die by kicking an altar or a statue, it could be plausible you can die by kicking a door and breaking your leg.

08-31-2015 07:48 AM
Ancient Member
I agree to with the suggestion but only for certain weapons.
I can't imagine smashing a door with a dagger, a whip, a spear, a sword or a quarterstaff.
Hammers, axes and clubs are fine, though I'd argue the range of compatible weapons would be limited to the heavier ones (above 200s?).
A kick is perfectly fine and it makes sense as the PC is putting his/her weight on it.
Thus a weapon would have to have similar mass and momentum.

As for dying, I don't remember the last time I lost a character to kicking a door, at least not directly.
It's usually the exploding trap that does the trick or a stone block.
There are other methods to deal with that though.

08-31-2015 08:37 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by palandus
Well, if you read the "So many ways to die..." at http://www.adom.de/home/index.html, several include dying by using the kick button. If you can die by kicking an altar or a statue, it could be plausible you can die by kicking a door and breaking your leg.
Hahaha the Ways to Die thread. :D

You should understand that 90% of the possible ways to die in that thread are possible in theory, but do not ever happen in real games, unless you try really hard to suicide in an original way. Like, yeah you can die from kicking and breaking your leg.. IF you are already at 1 HP and have pathetically low PV etc..

08-31-2015 08:55 AM
palandus
Ahhh, the technicalities in the fine print. Good to know.

And yes, only specific weapons would make sense. Axes, Hammers, Clubs, Flails, maybe Twohanded swords.

Alternatively, smashing down a door with a large projectile, such as a Huge Rock, or a Statue, or Anvil.

08-31-2015 09:23 AM
Huge rocks can already be thrown at doors. As for using weapons to smash them, since kicking a door is generally not harmful in itself except for traps, I'd say it's a big change in weapon behaviour for a largely cosmetic effect. If something like that was implemented, there would have to be some advantage, for example if you set off a trap with an axe the damage to the PC wouldn't be as severe. But who would risk weapon destruction trying to avoid some trap damage? (Mist elves).

08-31-2015 09:30 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Feorg
Huge rocks can already be thrown at doors. As for using weapons to smash them, since kicking a door is generally not harmful in itself except for traps, I'd say it's a big change in weapon behaviour for a largely cosmetic effect. If something like that was implemented, there would have to be some advantage, for example if you set off a trap with an axe the damage to the PC wouldn't be as severe. But who would risk weapon destruction trying to avoid some trap damage? (Mist elves).
If the weapon was indestructible, like some of the guaranteed ones.
Big punch strikes me as a perfect door smasher - heavy as fuck, club, indestructible due to being an artifact, guaranteed at a relatively early stage of the game.

08-31-2015 06:27 PM
palandus
Well, if you had a cursed item in hand and no uncursing or item destruction available to you, smashing a door with that weapon might appeal to you. Alternatively, you could carry around a portable "battering ram" aka a Troll's Club to smash down doors and not being worried if it was destroyed or not.

Or perhaps have a new tool created, the Battering Ram designed for smashing doors down.

08-31-2015 06:32 PM
Ancient Member
Well, if you had a cursed item in hand and no uncursing or item destruction available to you, smashing a door with that weapon might appeal to you. Alternatively, you could carry around a portable "battering ram" aka a Troll's Club to smash down doors and not being worried if it was destroyed or not.

Or perhaps have a new tool created, the Battering Ram designed for smashing doors down.
How about a log?

There are lots of ways of dealing with locked doors as well as trapped ones, though, and virtually all of them are fairly easy to acquire and guaranteed in-game.

09-02-2015 03:06 AM
Ancient Member
Alternatively, smashing down a door with a large projectile, such as a Huge Rock, or a Statue, or Anvil.
Huge rocks and anvils already break doors when thrown at them, although I seem to remember you have to aim past the door, or else they'll just bounce and fall to the floor (likely a bug). Surprisingly, statues don't, even if it's an 8000s AKW one.

09-02-2015 05:53 AM
Statues are soft like marble, hence they break when you kick them :P

+ Reply