Reduce chance of dangerous features (rivers, ant nests, etc.) in early areas
issueid=4678 01-27-2017 06:20 PM
Number of reported issues by PaladinKell: 5
Reduce chance of dangerous features (rivers, ant nests, etc.) in early areas
See Title

I was playing ADOM v. 1.2.0p20 with Sage on the Ancardia.Us.To server and had a bit of bad luck with generated dungeon features and wilderness encounters.

First, my 1st character got attacked by a group of hill orcs on her way to the Druid Dungeon. There was no chance of escape or survival: Even in coward mode, she got hit by lots of thrown spears and axes and took lots of damage in melee. When I tried true berserking, I kept missing, and 4-5 hill orcs engaged me at once. I used up my prayers and potions of extra healing (I was playing as a female human healer), so I was sure to die. From that, I wish the chance of at least these kinds of encounters (hill orcs, barbarians, etc.) that block your escape routes should be lowered a bit.

Second, on Level 1 of the Druid Dungeon right in the first room, I encountered a river with no nearby passages, rooms, or doors. Even though my 2nd character (another female human healer) has Swimming, this would've essentially restricted access to most of this dungeon for those who can't swim or cast frost spells. Should've considered actually crossing the river that time, but I didn't want my only iron scalpel to be rusted and leave me "offense-less."
Here, I think the early dungeon levels (Druid Dungeon, early Caverns of Chaos, etc.) shouldn't have any rivers at all, or at least a very small chance of them.

Third, this game I encountered a mimic in a shop at the 1st level of the "rather boring cave entrance." Luckily, I could escape from this. Since I believe that was the way to a very high-level area, one half of me says it's reasonable. But the other half disagrees since that level is mostly composed of easy monsters.

Lastly, there was an ant nest at D: 3, after the shortcut level. My 2nd healer didn't have enough attack power at that point, mostly because of the above inconveniences. Even leveling up at the Infinite Dungeon didn't mitigate this problem because of the lack of good weapon finds. Small Cave at Level 1 was out of the question too since my healer's stats were too meager at the start.

Don't get me wrong. The setbacks of the RNG are what makes parts of this game so fantastic. It's just that placing lots of chance barriers in the early game can really discourage people new to the game. These new players if non-spoiled could even feel frustrated at these bouts of bad luck and quit altogether. Maybe this can be a compromise for both the newcomers and the veterans, to reduce game-crippling incongruities in the early game and to make role of chance more important in the mid-game and beyond.

P.S. I know the 2nd level of the Puppy Cave has a guaranteed ant nest, so no need to remove that ;)
Issue Details
Issue Number 4678
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category ADOM Server (ancardia.com)
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 20
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 7
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-27-2017 06:59 PM
Ancient Member
So the complaint is that characters with bad starting equipment can actually be challenging in the early game? I don't see a problem with that, especially when there are in-game hints for strong race/class combinations. Of the things you brought up, the hill orc encounter is the only one which borders on being unfair. Being forced to change up your route because of an inconvenient river, ant hive, out-of-depth monster, etc is a good and fun thing, especially now that there are an additional four relatively low danger dungeons.

01-28-2017 02:22 AM
I agree with Grond to a point. The game is meant to be challenging, if it were easy there would be little satisfaction in completing it and little reason to keep playing it.
Yes early game can suck big time but if your character survives this it makes it so much more interesting and you become even more invested in trying to keep them alive.
Rivers suck pretty much all the time but you learn to get around them and they can actually be advantageous for killing monsters that can't cross them.
I see no need to change any of the dungeons or ways they generate.

01-28-2017 08:48 AM
I even disagree with the hill orc encounter being unfair. Hills are dangerous places, so are swamps, mountains and roads. Stick to plains / forest if you want to play it safe. Druid dungeon is by no means an easy task and no one forces you to go there.

The village dungeon is already stripped of all bad stuff, and there's even the initial dungeon next to the start nowadays. That should be help enough.

The only thing I think could be classed as unfair in the very early game are stone block traps which can instakill weak characters. But that's also a risk to take, you can always play stronger ones.

01-28-2017 02:46 PM
Ancient Member
Incidentally, the frequency of rivers actually has decreased since p20, see issue 2876. I thought this was completely unnecessary then too, due to the width of low-DL rivers being decreased in issue 1648, but that portion of this RFE has already been implemented.

+ Reply