Aborting a spell cast doesn't take a turn
issueid=5108 09-25-2017 03:44 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Aborting a spell cast doesn't take a turn

Aborting a spell cast, either through aborting targeting or saying no to the HP casting warning, no longer takes a turn.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5108
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Not a Bug
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.3
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-25-2017 03:45 PM
That's good, isn't it?

09-25-2017 03:47 PM
Ancient Member
Good for the player, but it's a change from old behavior. Also, it doesn't really make sense and is inconsistent with similar abort-able actions such as mindcraft.

10-05-2017 02:59 PM
The Creator
What do you mean by "old behavior"? I didn't track it through all source code changes but the current behavior has been in the game since 2014 at least (and according to my gut feeling much longer).

10-05-2017 04:21 PM
Ancient Member
You are right that it's not a recent change, although in 1.1.1 this did take a turn. I find the current behavior rather weird, because you can somehow "focus your magical energies", spend PP, and then not take any time because you decided not to target the spell.

10-05-2017 05:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
You are right that it's not a recent change, although in 1.1.1 this did take a turn. I find the current behavior rather weird, because you can somehow "focus your magical energies", spend PP, and then not take any time because you decided not to target the spell.
I agree that spending PP on the spell, but the action not taking a turn doesn't seem to make much sense. Can a developer share an in-universe reasoning behind that?

10-05-2017 11:00 PM
I think if you cancel a spell before casting it, your PP, and your turn should be refunded

+ Reply