The name of the game
issueid=261 07-17-2011 10:03 AM
Number of reported issues by quik: 20
The name of the game

I guess JADE is a development name (Java-based Ancient Domains Engine). Maybe it's time (or it'll be soon) to give the game a final name. Why not just ADOM 2? Most of the successful games today have second parts.
Issue Details
Issue Number 261
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-17-2011 11:23 AM
Ancient Member
But it's not ADOM 2. It doesn't continue the story, it doesn't take place in the same world. I'd much rather see an in-game justification in the form of a main quest that involves the stone, jade, in some form.

07-17-2011 11:34 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
But it's not ADOM 2. It doesn't continue the story, it doesn't take place in the same world.
Correction, it does. http://www.adom.de/jade/background.php3

07-17-2011 11:37 AM
Ancient Member
I agree with quik. The acronym JADE means "Java-based Ancient Domains Engine", so it's clearly the name of an engine, not a game. If the game is also going to be called JADE in the long term, at least it would be good to find a different meaning for the acronym, related to the plot rather than to technical details (most players won't care about the game being Java-based or being an engine, they will care about the story and the world where it takes place!).

07-17-2011 11:38 AM
Well, what I don't really like is that the programming language Java is part of the name. Al-Khwarizmi has just explained it much better than I would so I stick to that.

EDIT: Besides, there already exists a framework for development of multi-agent systems called JADE (http://jade.tilab.com/).

07-17-2011 11:45 AM
Personally, I think "JADE" can mean multiple things simultaneously. "JADE" itself is such a nice acronym, it would be a shame to lose it.

"Journey Ancardia Defeating Evil" (or "Everything") or "Journey Ancardia to Discover and Explore" could work. Or, if you want to go a little more redundant...

"JADE Ancient Domains Exploration".

07-17-2011 11:59 AM
Ancient Member
Reminds me of how ADOM initially stood for Advanced Dungeons of Mystery, then was changed to Ancient Dungeons of Mystery, and finally when the wilderness was implemented to Ancient Domains of Mystery.

07-17-2011 01:33 PM
Ancient Member
Yeah, I know it takes place in Ancardia, but the world ADOM takes place in is the Drakalor Chain. As far as I'm aware, the Ancardia of JADE doesn't have the Drakalor Chain yet.

07-17-2011 01:48 PM
Ancient Member
The Drakalor Chain is a mountain range located in Ancardia (section A in the ADOM manual). IIRC TB plans to include it at some point. (Its current absence could be hand-waved away by explaining that erosion completely wiped it out.)

07-17-2011 04:45 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
(Its current absence could be hand-waved away by explaining that erosion completely wiped it out.)
Or, better yet, by explaining that the corruption already released prior to the gate being closed caused the chain to mutate over time.

+ Reply