Allow necromancers to animate bats, centipedes and trolls
issueid=3779 07-31-2015 10:23 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Allow necromancers to animate bats, centipedes and trolls
There are couple of unusual undead creatures, would be great if necromancers will be allowed to create them as well.

1. Allow necromancers from level 3 to animate giant centipede corpse into shadow centipede (costs 10 PP, centipede aren't common rarely drop corpse and have 3 HP only).
  2. Allow necromancers from level 6 to animate large bat, giant bat and huge bat corpses into ghost bat (costs 20 PP, ghost bats have 4 HP only but bats are very common and often drop corpses).
  3. Allow necromancers from from level 41 to animate troll, troll berserker, troll chief and troll king corpses into shadow troll (costs 6 Mana, quite strong).

Since prompt for corpse it brought up before list of possible slave types, shadow centipedes and ghost bat could be just created after selection (with confirmation if you think it's better).
As for shadow trolls - I think they should appear in list (e.g. in the end) only if troll corpse type is selected. Also I would dedicate special letter for it (e.g. [T]) so it won't change anything for player who already get used to existing keys.

How this would improve the game...

Don't think it will have much effects on gameplay, it's more just a nice detail to have.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3779
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-31-2015 11:33 PM
Ancient Member
Why wouldn't shadow centipede and ghost bat cost Ma like all other slaves? Shadow centipedes and ghost bats are pretty comparable in strength to zombies.

08-01-2015 02:41 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Why wouldn't shadow centipede and ghost bat cost Ma like all other slaves? Shadow centipedes and ghost bats are pretty comparable in strength to zombies.
Don't wanna compare it zombie because starting from level 6 necromancer unlikely consider creating skeleton or zombie. It would be wasted 1 MA and wasted corpse.

Let's compare ghul to shadow centipede / ghost bat. Ghul has comparable DV/PV, attacks x3 times, has about x3-x4 more HP, equal speed. Moreover ghul has paralyzing attack with is a lot more useful than St drain and aging attacks. Starting from level 6 creating shadow centipede / ghost bat for 1 MA just won't be worthy (Although I would waste 1 MA on bats and centipedes just to use such a cool possibility :D).

+ Player has an option to create more powerful slave from humanoid corpse but for centipede and bat corpses he won't have a choice. Would 1 create ghost bat on level 50 for 1 MA? I definitely won't. For 10 PP? Well, probably I'd consider creating it instead of eating the corpse.

08-01-2015 08:59 AM
Ancient Member
Ghost bats and shadow centipedes are not humanoids (lore explanation) and you can make them not scale with the PC level (balance) to justify PP cost. Honestly, I doubt they would do any damage whatsoever, but give you nice strategy flexibility for blocking/exploding vortices.

08-01-2015 03:04 PM
I don't insist on having no mana cost for them but I think with PP only cost these two features will find more use in game.

08-03-2015 07:00 PM
In my opinion adding these things would be pointless and work in flavor only. Necromancy explicitly only works on humanoids, too. Handwaving why this works on these two animals is a nod against consistency and does not add any tangible benefit to the game.

08-04-2015 08:43 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Bieks
In my opinion adding these things would be pointless and work in flavor only. Necromancy explicitly only works on humanoids, too. Handwaving why this works on these two animals is a nod against consistency and does not add any tangible benefit to the game.
I'd like to see this implemented as a nice detail, not to add any benefit for necromancers. Just like bouncing bolts from wall monsters.

+ Reply