UX: Allow First Aid (or hotkeyed skills) to be 'a'pplied but have nothing happen if not usable
issueid=5450 10-19-2017 02:18 AM
Number of reported issues by hapro: 15
UX: Allow First Aid (or hotkeyed skills) to be 'a'pplied but have nothing happen if not usable
New 'a'pply skills UI only allows ability to choose usable skills, but you can't tell if you can use First Aid unless you open the UI

As a habitual First Aid apply-er, I always map First Aid to '0' and hit a0 after every fight. In the latest version, if you haven't been injured you can't use the skill, so hitting a0 will bring up the skills window, but do nothing - I then have to hit escape to exit out of it. Since there's no way to tell if First Aid is usable without opening the skills window, it's becoming a bit tedious (a second or two wasted every time it happens, but several times per floor). The main issue isn't whether or not the skill is used, but that the skills window stays open.

It would be nice if First Aid could be used any time, but it would give you a "You have no wounds that can be healed right now" message. Alternatively, any skills assigned to hotkeys (0-9) should always be used, but say "You cannot use that skill right now" if it's not usable. I have no strong opinions on whether or not this should waste a turn. Or even if the skills window just closed if you hit a number from 0-9 with no message.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5450
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-19-2017 05:56 AM
Supported. I use FA rarely, but when pickpocketing, it's annoying that the keybinding for pickpocketing changes depending on if you have a recent wound or not.
Make it appear all the time, please.

10-19-2017 07:25 AM
Ancient Member
I am VERY used to hitting "ab" to apply First Aid. What's even more annoying that you can't rely on it being the same letter anymore due to other skills popping up depending on availability. You can use capital (shift) A to bring up the full skill list so you could switch the keybindings, but it seems to be always sorted alphabetically.

10-31-2017 06:39 AM
The context-sensitive tips in the corner of the screen indicate when First Aid is usable or not, which is a reasonable solution to the problem, so I could consider this implemented. I wouldn't object to implementing the original request though as it sounds like people who don't use quick-marks are having some trouble hitting the right buttons sometimes.

11-01-2017 09:51 AM
Yes, it would be nice if it were always available. I just started playing a farmer, and accidentally planted one of my precious seeds...

An alternative would be to keep the number-skill mapping consistent for each character throughout the game (maybe updated when new skills are learned). For example, just after being wounded:

[1] Cooking
[2] First Aid
[3] Gardening

A couple of turns later, pressing 'a' brings up this menu:

[1] Cooking
[3] Gardening

+ Reply