Implement wilderness encounters based on special attributes
issueid=5375 10-17-2017 07:51 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Implement wilderness encounters based on special attributes

E.g. a lucky find for high mana characters like the remains of a caravan attack, a challenge to a test of strength for very strong non-troll characters, a (female/male) knight offering his services to a very beautiful male/female character, etc.

Naturally all encounters are randomized and would not happen in every game.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5375
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-17-2017 08:27 PM
Maybe there could be something interesting for Druids who go into the wild. Maybe they have a higher chance of finding really good animal companions to join them. Since their animal summon ability is pretty weak, maybe we could have some join them. Or we could make Druid summon animal ability be based on DL level of an area, that would be nice too :)

I just want the druids wilderness stuff to be more worth it :p

10-17-2017 08:57 PM
I like that idea, it reminds me of the old Fallout 1 and 2 games.

However, I think that many of the encounters that generate a map and require decisions should have a chance of occurring to all PCs, for verisimilitude. It's like getting the frog quest from a pool even if you have no intention of kissing frogs... no one forces you to take the quest, but sometimes weak characters should run into the troll bridge and ugly characters should run into the handsome prince. You know what I mean? Especially since one of the design philosophies of ADOM is that any PC can get good at nearly any skill, with enough effort. An unusual special encounter can help motivate the player to move in a different direction, and increase their engagement with the character, as well as rewarding players who happen to be good at the right things.

10-17-2017 09:06 PM
And make it worth doing too! Maybe some good loot drops off these guys, or maybe we can have a treasure hunt of some kind with an artifact (or very powerful item) at the end (but its real hard to find or has a powerful guardian of course ;). I would totally do more stuff in the wilderness if those were around.

10-19-2017 03:45 PM
There could be conditions different from attributes (speaking of Fallout btw). For example robbed a couple of shops - thugs will await you, stole some goods from the underwater cave - beware of water dragons ambush, decided, killed a lawful dwarf - well, you've got a possibilty of hostile dwarven army, traded enough and a lot - get a chance to meet travelling merchant, got 100 stealth and survival and you might get lucky to discover elven camp. It wouldn't limit anyone of doing anything as long as he can do quests, destroy, assist and practice.

+ Reply