Farlook/throw/other "getpos" commands doesn't respect movement bindings
issueid=5116 09-25-2017 07:20 PM
Number of reported issues by FIQ: 4
Farlook/throw/other "getpos" commands doesn't respect movement bindings
Commands that request a position by the user requires numpad input unconditionally

Hi.
I have a vi-keys keybinding setup. Despite this, as of the recent development versions, farlook/throw/similar commands which ask the player for a position will ignore movement bindings and require me to use numpad 123456789 anyway. I am running the Linux Debian x64 version (I don't actually use Debian, but there was no "generic" linux ADOM version so I used that).

Keybind setup: http://sprunge.us/HTII

/FIQ
Issue Details
Issue Number 5116
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux
Status Confirmed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.3
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-04-2017 08:43 PM
The Creator
Yep, it's a compromise. The newer bindings no longer respect your personalized bindings as there were many problems with that (e.g. pressing : missed a key, you could define invalid bindings by omitting certain commands, etc.).

It might not be optimal but I'm not sure if there's a better solution in the foreseeable future :-/

10-20-2017 08:07 PM
Given the recent push to make the game more friendly for newbies, wouldn't this be an extreme priority? This bug pretty much destroys any ability to have custom key binds...

10-22-2017 11:15 PM
The Creator
Newbies don't use custom key bindings. No tester I ever played with so far even came close to feeling the desire to rebind keys. And then they probably wouldn't think about editing a text file. You have a wrong perception of newbie problems, believe me :-)

10-23-2017 05:31 AM
I'll have to disagree here. Pretty much anybody that I know that plays PC games (myself included) will immediately look in a new game's option menu to remap keys, especially keys we realize we don't like as we're playing through the game initially. In the current state of PC game dev it's almost unheard of to not have remappable keybinds in-game, but given that's a lot of effort to implement in ADOM at this point, being able to remap keys in a file is a decent workaround. That said, if the remappings in that file aren't actually taken into account in the game, there's not much point to using it.

I find it interesting that none of the testers have asked about remapping keys, given that's the first thing I do on any new game (let alone roguelike) I play. I wonder what they would think about the mind-crafting key (ctrl-i), should any of them happen to try mindcrafter =P.

(P.S. Hope I'm not coming off poorly, I love this game and your dev work, but I think some type of remappable key system that works is important to the reception of this game.)

10-23-2017 06:27 AM
The Creator
Maybe the combination is the point: Currently there is no UI remapping available and thus people stop caring about it. That's at least what I observe in our UI/UX lab: They just don't care and learn the ADOM keybindings. Unless that changes I'll keep the priority very low. Data trumps opinion ;-)

And yes, I do agree in that a UI-based remapping would be awesome and useful to have - but it's too much effort right now. Maybe in a couple of months...

(and hopefully I do not appear rude... I'm just trying to distribute our limited resources to the best of my ability ;-) )

12-13-2017 05:42 PM
A small suggestion that ought to fix this issue as a minor work-around for now, at least for vi-keys users: to my knowledge, hjklyubn is completely unmapped in "ask for a position" prompts. Would it be possible to simply map them as alternative keys in addition to 123456789? That should at least allow vi-keys users to still be able to play properly.

12-13-2017 06:32 PM
I don't like that idea as a default; imagine you're a player who's never heard of vikeys and you accidentally press one of those letters at a prompt and kill yourself with a magic missile. Sure, the same is true if you accidentally press one of the number/arrow keys, but the game at least lets you know about that danger. So I think that behavior should be put behind an option, which also fixes the problem of remapping not being in the UI... of course I understand being wary about adding new options, but it makes sense if it's being done to restore removed functionality IMO.

12-13-2017 07:43 PM
Quote Originally Posted by wheals
I don't like that idea as a default; imagine you're a player who's never heard of vikeys and you accidentally press one of those letters at a prompt and kill yourself with a magic missile. Sure, the same is true if you accidentally press one of the number/arrow keys, but the game at least lets you know about that danger. So I think that behavior should be put behind an option, which also fixes the problem of remapping not being in the UI... of course I understand being wary about adding new options, but it makes sense if it's being done to restore removed functionality IMO.
I don't understand this argument. Position prompts asks for a position -- you are saying that a new player would first accidentally press a button to move the cursor, then *also* press the "confirm" key? How is this different from fatfingering a number?
Keep in mind that I am referring to *position* prompts here, not *direction* prompts. Those already respect your remapped directional keys as input (unless this was changed in a later release ruining direction remapping further?).

12-13-2017 07:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by FIQ
I don't understand this argument. Position prompts asks for a position -- you are saying that a new player would first accidentally press a button to move the cursor, then *also* press the "confirm" key? How is this different from fatfingering a number?
I misread and thought that this applied to directional prompts as well. Rereading the OP it's just picking positions, so there's no danger in having undocumented behavior, and I withdraw my objection.

01-14-2020 01:43 AM
Not sure if this is related but if I am using the noteye version with VI keybindings, am I affected by this bug? I am a newbie *but* I'd very much like with a cherry on top to use VI keybindings *and* to also have a key binding for look, farlook, and any other command that might be superseded by the VI movement keys. Thank you

01-14-2020 09:56 AM
Quote Originally Posted by stormwatch
Not sure if this is related but if I am using the noteye version with VI keybindings, am I affected by this bug? I am a newbie *but* I'd very much like with a cherry on top to use VI keybindings *and* to also have a key binding for look, farlook, and any other command that might be superseded by the VI movement keys. Thank you
Are you saying there is a new in-game option for VI keybindings? If so, I have no idea what they bind those commands to, but surely they do bind them?

Otherwise, you can look at the keymap I created for vi-keys on an older version where getpos prompts still worked fine (link in OP). They're NetHack-inspired since I'm a NetHack player, but you can change them if you wish -- but either way, it gives an exhaustive list of the keybinds in comments on top. Nothing important is left out -- I've ascended games using it.

01-14-2020 12:33 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by stormwatch
You still have access to the commands look, target / throw, etc. when using vi keybindings with ADOM because you remap those keys. This bug is that ADOM does not respect those keybindings in certain commands and requires you to use num-keys (which you can of course do using the number row, it's just really annoying). You can see a list of which commands work or don't work @ https://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=6543

In addition to FIQ's excellent work above, I have a vi-keys setup based more on DCSS - https://pastebin.com/raw/DQL5DxWY

01-14-2020 08:22 PM
Oh, I see, thanks for the explanation and config files

+ Reply