make metallurgy determine how hard it'll be to smith an item
issueid=3915 10-06-2015 03:13 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blank4u47: 29
make metallurgy determine how hard it'll be to smith an item
another request to make metallurgy useful :)

so, im playing a weaponsmith right now and it occurred to me that i never use the metallurgy skill, and i was trying to think of some fun ways it could be used, such as;

it generates a message after smithing an item which gives a hint on how hard it would be to further improve it, such as; "you feel as though the gauntlets 2,5 could easily be improved", and " you feel as though the gauntlets 8,11 are nearing perfection".

it could also be used in conjunction with a weaponsmith's weapon id ability kinda like appraisal (they are WEAPONsmiths after all, it should be limited to weapons for this) . so at lvl 50 they would see an unidentified item such as; gray dagger {iron}{+1, 1d4+1}{easy} 5s, and two handed sword {eternium}{+18, 6d5+18,}{nearly perfect}.

also maybe it could improve the quality of ingots extracted from ore?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3915
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-10-2015 11:54 AM
Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird
This is *exactly* on topic. What I am discussing gets to the very heart of the issue. This topic is focused on metallurgy, but I am generalizing the discussion to deal with *why* skills like metallurgy are such an issue. The point is that one arbitrary design decision leads to anther, which in turn eventually leads to pointless kitchen sink skills like metallurgy/bridgebuilding.
Was discussed a lot of times. If trees were growing near rivers, one was able to chop them with any type of axe, there was a possibility to build 200s bridge sections from 800s logs and all this could be done in a reasonable in-game time no one already was complaining. I'd rather build a bridge than waste a charge from a wand or risk my scrolls drenched.
Make ice thinner, teleportation/water breathing less common, swimming harder to obtain, make rivers more common and add additional "rivers of nasty goo" some of which could be guaranteed like ToTHK lake. And everyone will just love this skill and seriously consider learning bridge building instead of learning healing. I definetly would.

Such things were never suggested for metallurgy. When they are suggested everyone feels like they should be added to the smithing instead of metallurgy. That how metallurgy is different from bridge building.

Upd:
Bridge building wasn't added as just a feature for nothing. It was added as an additional option to cross water which could be useful depending on the game design.
Metallurgy was added as a way to determine type of metal. It wasn't designed to increase skill variety. But determining type of metal was never ever nearly that useful as, e.g. crossing water.
That's how metallurgy and bridge building are different.

10-10-2015 11:39 PM
Ancient Member
quite honestly, when i first started playing i actually used metallurgy.
It was indeed useful, because i had no idea what was what, like a mace of destruction is adamantium or a sword of sharpness is iron.
So i really feel this skill isn't useless, it just needs a few tweaks. however, i do not want it to be some super skill, so i tried to think of a few advanced uses for it that might help in some situations as well as help the weaponsmith class powers, which are honestly lacking somewhat (however just by having better smithing abilities they more than make up for it).

now as for bridge building, i actually had to use it with my last character, a hurthling weaponsmith ironically enough ;) i was done playing around the surface and i was about to make my final descent, so i went into the tomb of the high kings and was about to cross the piranna lake when i found out to my dismay i had no wands of cold! wands of wonder were no help, and hadn't found any spellbooks of frost bolt. so i took out my hatchet and manual of bridge building and chopped some trees on the surface. only took a few days game time, but i didnt have to do any grinding for a wand of cold.

+ Reply