Detect Item Status Bug
issueid=3824 08-27-2015 05:42 PM
palandus
Number of reported issues by palandus:
Detect Item Status Bug
Rarely at 100% Detect Item Status you find an unidentified item

Hi,

Thought I should make an account to post this even though this (and my next one) is relatively minor. I would like to say I've been waiting a long time for ADOM Deluxe, having first played ADOM back in 2003, when a friend introduced me to it. Unfortunately for me, I heard about the ADOM Indiegogo 3 months after it was a success and thus I couldn't help out in that respect. Thus, I'm pleased to see that maybe, just maybe, R60 will be the last for Steam Release. With that said, I hope my issue is small enough that it won't delay that release, but I felt I should post about it anyway (especially if I forget). So the issue:

I'm a Dwarf Priest LV 16, wandering the Infinite Dungeon around LV13-14. I have 100% Detect Item Status. On a rare occasion, I will find an item that isn't identified. By unidentified I mean that it is white in color and not particularly special either (by special I mean like you find a pair of white gauntlets). I've had this happen to me a few times now. For example, one time I had a Raider shoot a bunch of Arrows at me (as I needed them for my Bow) and after dispatching the Raider and picking up about 30 something arrows, only 1 arrow was unidentified; everything else was Cursed, Uncursed or Blessed. Using a scroll of Identity curiously enough doesn't work on these unidentified items either; it still remains white and nothing, but it does show the damage of the item. I'm assuming that these items are uncursed as every time I've equipped one, it wasn't cursed. Still, it is a bit weird that the 100% Detect Item Status and Scroll of Identify fails to identify whether the item is Cursed, Uncursed, or Blessed.

Minor bug, in my opinion, but it is something to keep an eye out for. Again, I do say rarely, as it only happens once every 30-50 items I pick up.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3824
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 8.1 (NotEye)
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM r60
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-27-2015 06:10 PM
Ancient Member
Detect item status doesn't guarantee that you will always get the status of the item, even at 100.

Did you use a blessed scroll of identify when you were checking out those remaining arrows? Uncursed and cursed scrolls of identify don't do B/U/C status.

08-27-2015 07:09 PM
I heard about the ADOM Indiegogo 3 months after it was a success and thus I couldn't help out in that respect.
Me too... :( Missed a lot awesome features that crowd funding offered...

08-27-2015 07:17 PM
palandus
Oh.

I thought that 100% Detect Item Status meant 100% of the time that it would be identified. Thus, if this is intentional, it might be nice if it was mentioned in the Manual, as it is counter-intuitive for me. I'd think that if you have 100% chance of something that doesn't mean it is 99.9999%, but 100%. Just my 5 cents.

08-27-2015 07:52 PM
Ancient Member
The manual says:
The score given is assumed to be the average chance of success in percent when trying an average feat. The chance is lowered when trying something difficult and raised when trying something simple. There is always a chance for automatic success and automatic failure.
Note that this is true of all skills, not just detect item status. You won't detect traps 100% even at max skill, nor will you always successfully cook, nor always pick a herb without the plant withering, nor successfully smith etc.

08-27-2015 11:19 PM
palandus
Ahh. Now that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

08-28-2015 07:46 AM
Ancient Member
Also, scrolls of greater identify will give you blessed/uncursed/cursed information even when the scroll itself not blessed.
It will also give some other basic info about the item that regular scrolls of identify do not.

08-31-2015 02:38 PM
Ancient Member
This was confirmed as intentional by the Creator some years ago: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1310

+ Reply