Steam based player ghost exchange
issueid=3191 07-18-2014 10:28 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
Steam based player ghost exchange

Steam friends should randomly swap ghosts.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3191
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version ADOM 2.3.5
Milestone "Resurrect ADOM" Indiegogo Fulfillment
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin, jt
Tags (none)

07-30-2014 10:58 PM
The Creator
Task for TB: Add a probability for ghost exchange to YieldGhostOrNullForNetworkRequestFromFriend

07-30-2014 10:59 PM
The Creator
Idea of TB:
- Locate all friends who play ADOM.
- Select one, ask for ghost.
- Provide ghost.

08-08-2014 01:25 PM
Administrator
We needed to switch compilers for (at least) the ADOM version for Windows (with Steam integration), because the MinGW compiler we used until now has a different ABI (application binary interface) that doesn't work well with the Steam API (which uses VisualStudio). So I had to spent 5-6 hours on migrating from one compiler to another (MinGW -> VisualStudio), which is really *fun* (sarcasm). But right now the Steam callbacks are working fine, so the work was worth it. :)

08-08-2014 03:10 PM
Any chance this could be extended to a 'co-operative mode', where 2 characters could transfer items? (invalidating highscores, of course).
I don't much fancy a whole item-trading community, because I feel it would ruin the joy of adventuring in ADOM, but a limited form of item trading would be a good stab at something close to a 'cooperative adventure' between 2 friends.

(A friend of mine and I used to play adom 'cooperative mode' by using a batch file that duplicated our savegame files. It basically worked by us 'synchronizing' our ADOM session whenever anything notable happened (found seven league boots, finished a quest, etc), and we would pick the best of the 2 savegames to continue with. Obviously it made the game a lot easier (we used to typically finish it in a single afternoon), but it would have been so much more fun if we didn't have to share the character, and simply got to transfer items between our characters as we played.)

08-08-2014 04:48 PM
Administrator
Sounds like an interesting idea. Ghosts are much easier to handle because they don't require player interaction (and a UI enhancement/addition). So maybe in the future, but not in the first Steam version. :)

08-13-2014 09:35 PM
Administrator
Current progress: ghosts can be transferred between Steam friends, if both are online and play ADOM at the same time.

TODO:

- define when/how often ghosts are exchanged
- add Steam account ID to ghost data so that we can display which player created the ghost?

10-10-2017 06:56 PM
The Creator
I'm marking this as complete. Storing the Steam ID is an interesting ID but as we potentially also want to support other platforms, we need to put more thought into this and should postpone such advanced features.

10-10-2017 08:04 PM
While I absolutely *love* the idea of getting ghosts from other steam players, I'm a little disappointed to hear that it will only be between Steam friends... Is there any possibility of swapping ghosts throughout the entire Steam community, kind of like how the public Nethack servers operate with bones files? I think this kind of system would be absolutely wonderful for making interesting games (imagine stumbling upon an unknown players ghost, slaying it, and finding a treasure trove of artifacts... sounds awesome).

10-10-2017 08:24 PM
Administrator
Yes, this could be possible once we implement our own server (see issue 5261).

+ Reply