[RFE] New Class - Archaeologist
issueid=2662 01-20-2014 07:38 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[RFE] New Class - Archaeologist

I watched Indiana Jones again recently and played the new Tomb Raider game (which is pretty amazing btw) and figured that we could use a char that would combine some of the classic features of mentioned works of fiction.
So a class, though I realize word has been that duelist and ck are the final additions in this regard. Still, it's nice to ponder and imagine stuff that could perhaps in some distant future find its way into the game.
Might as well stop right here, and only imagine what it would be like if a class such as described below, was available in the game.

So:

Archaeologists specialize in uncovering lost ruins and forgotten artifacts of past ages.
Although most of them are scholars, many have been forced by the harsh times to forget about preservation of ancient knowledge and relics in favor of selling stuff they find to get some money to survive.
They aren't particularly good fighters since they focused on reading about old civilizations rather than honing sword skills and training with their childhood friends.
Their knowledge naturally extends to magic as it is inevitably tied with archaeology in Ancardia so they make passable mages, if the spells aren't particularly demanding.
They often spend many weeks or months in seclusion around excavation sites, where they have to find food on their own and shelter from capricious weather.
Expertise in the field allows them to accurately determine the nature and purpose of many objects they find.

Archaeologists are trained in the following skills: Alertness, Appraising, Climbing, Cooking, Detect Items Status, Detect Traps, Food Preservation, Gemology, Herbalism, Literacy, Mining, Pick Locks, Survival.

Experienced archaeologists not only use their vast knowledge of cultures, places and objects to their advantage, they can also apply their scholarly methods and deduct the locations of more treasure troves to feed their lust for forgotten wealth and subsequently uncover caches of relics.

At level 6, archaeologists gain the ability to sense gold in their vicinity at the cost of some power points (20PP). At level 12, that ability is extended to all items (40PP). Both class powers are equivalent to respective wands.
At level 18, the chance to encounter special places and features (forges, altars, pools, sculptures, shops etc.) is greatly increased - it reflects their pursuit of the unknown and unfound.
They also become immune to weather effects as they are often forced to work in harsh environments and unfavorable conditions.
At level 25 they begin to find much more items than normal dungeon explorers (cumulative with treasure hunter talent), as their inquiring nature forces them to double check pockets, backpacks and satchels of slain monsters and visited locations in search of precious odds and ends.
At level 32, archaeologists have a much higher chance to encounter various powerful items (higher chance for suffixed & prefixed) when digging walls (that is excavating ancient dig sites) using pick axes - it is their main tool used to carefully remove layers of dirt, earth and age in dungeons in order to uncover lost and forgotten.
Their pickaxes also now withstand much more severe and frequent usage, thanks both to their skill and their care and maintenance abilities related to the tool of their trade.
At level 40 they gain a one time bonus of +7 perception and +7 dexterity to further aid them in noticing hidden things and reaching remote places.
Finally at level 50, their brave efforts are compensated by finding a rare (random) artifact right after reaching that level.
(similar to uselessness gift but the message would be something like "You suddenly stumble upon a shiny box almost entirely covered by the ground, with only a corner visible. After hastily digging it up, you are astounded to find an artifact!")

Starting attributes around 8-12, with the exception of perception and dexterity that start between 15-20 and learning around 15-17.
They start with an uncursed pick axe, a whip (thanks Cactus for the suggestion, I don't understand how I didn't think about this in the first place), leather cap, robe, leather girdle, leather boots, ring of searching, amulet of the eye, wands of gold/item detection and a wand of digging.
They also start with lvl 2-3 in Clubs & Hammers to reflect their skill with the pick axe (or whatever weapon category pick axes belong to), and level 2 in whips, to gain some Indy Jones Style points.
Heir gift is a vigilant studded leather armor of carrying (-1, -1)[+0, +4]

Obviously skill set and starting items are very nice but after all it offers similar melee/casting performance to a merchant and the like.
A man can wish, I'd certainly like to play a class like this.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2662
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-21-2014 10:18 AM
Ancient Member
Well, that sounds simply amazing. It's not only a very original idea, the detailed ideas on class powers and skills really make it a package that fits really well in the ADOM universe, emphasizing one aspect of the game a lot of us love (item/treasure hunting) while not being overpowerded. Nice work!
Also, one could introduce the artifact whip I'm so eagerly waiting for as an archaeologist crowning gift!

01-21-2014 01:50 PM
The class 32 power may sound cool, but it seems too boring. Either you ignore it completely, or you quickly turn into a miner instead on an archaeologist :)
Also I feel that right now thief is the only somewhat loot-oriented class. This would be the second one, so I hope it wouldn't be more powerful.

01-21-2014 01:58 PM
Ancient Member
I hate to break it to you but an entire new class (beyond the promised ones) is just not going to happen.

01-21-2014 02:47 PM
Ancient Member
I know it's not going to happen but I can still hypothetically make one and consider how it would fit into the game. Hence lowest priority, so TB will probably not even read this.

01-21-2014 09:38 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I know it's not going to happen but I can still hypothetically make one and consider how it would fit into the game. Hence lowest priority, so TB will probably not even read this.
I do :-)

01-26-2014 01:26 PM
I really do like the implimentation of this. A couple of the powers I would suggest adjustments on, since even at their respective levels they feel too powerful. However, I think that if we get more classes, this would really fit in well, thematically *and* power-wise. Thumbs up from me.

The changes I would suggest:

At level 25 they begin to find much more items than normal dungeon explorers (cumulative with treasure hunter talent), as their inquiring nature forces them to double check pockets, backpacks and satchels of slain monsters and visited locations in search of precious odds and ends.
While I like this idea, I feel that 'cumulative with Treasure Hunter' might make it a bit too powerful. Make it a higher chance/number than TH, and have it supersede it, IMO.

At level 32, archaeologists have a much higher chance to encounter various powerful items (higher chance for suffixed & prefixed) when digging walls (that is excavating ancient dig sites) using pick axes - it is their main tool used to carefully remove layers of dirt, earth and age in dungeons in order to uncover lost and forgotten.
Is there really a chance to encounter powerful items while digging walls for *anyone*? If not, then I don't feel just one class should get this chance. Give all classes the chance to find things in the wall (with Archaeologists having a higher chance to find them) *OR* give archaeologists just a straight up better chance of encountering suffixed or prefixed items. I'd suggest the second, personally.

If so, then I recind my concern. ;)

The artifact, I keep see-sawing back and forth on whether it's a good idea or not. It feels like it might be too powerful, though it's at such a high level that the artifact would probably not unbalance things (rather like a Uselessness artifact). Soooo.... I don't yet have a suggestion for counteracting it. ;)

01-29-2014 12:45 PM
Ancient Member
The class would be sub-par in terms of melee/ranged combat and casting to virtually any other class except maybe merchant.
I don't think lvl 25 class power is too good; it has to be good in the first place to offset the otherwise weak or even pathetic combat class.
It would also be mandatory for this class to dig through walls at lvl 32 to get nice items, otherwise they won't be able to handle tough monsters typically encountered at this stage of the game.
The idea of finding items within the walls only by archaeologists is that thanks to their education and specific knowledge, they notice tiny details in random rocks that other classes would discard as useless - they know how to find nice stuff in what nobody else considers worth anything ;)
Still, this is all just wishful thinking as the quota of new classes has already been used up.

+ Reply