Reduce monster chance to land next critical hit when attacking multiple times.
issueid=4305 04-09-2016 11:44 AM
Number of reported issues by emilus: 48
Reduce monster chance to land next critical hit when attacking multiple times.

Some monsters have multiple attacks in one turn and its nothing wrong with that but...

Highly experienced monsters can have even 8 and more attacks in one turn.

It is very possible that most (90%) of monster attacks will be critical hits (double damage + ignore PV) even when :
- PC have Lucky + Fate smiles intrinsic
- monster is not in berserker mode or enraged (blind rage)
- monster is not in special room with "All sounds are muffled" message.

I don't know what is the base chance for monster to score critical hit but IMHO for some monsters its way too high and with each successful critical hit it should be much lower.

If base Critical Hit chance for NPC is 30% then next hit should be 25%, next 20%, 15%, and so on.

I have noticed this when my PC (200 HP 80/29 Lucky + Fate smiles, 95 Dodge) could easily melee all experienced giants, ettins possible without losing one point of HP and suddenly he died from ONE
regular frost giant because RNG decided that all of his attacks will be critical:

Last messages:
you miss frost giant, frost giant critically hits you, frost giant critically hits you, frost giant critically hits you, frost giant critically hits you, you die.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4305
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 6
Affected Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 4
Users unable to reproduce bug 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-09-2016 12:27 PM
I think the problem is more with the ridiculous number of times monsters can attack you per turn. Duelist with Grand Mastery can get what - 3 attacks max? But somehow a regular skeleton can easily make 6-7 attacks by lvl 50 (don't remember precisely, so might be wrong)... If he makes that many attacks, some of them are bound to be Critical...

04-09-2016 06:42 PM
Ancient Member
It is very possible that most (90%) of monster attacks will be critical hits (double damage + ignore PV)
Criticals don't ignore PV, that's a separate effect (although both can occur in the same hit).

04-09-2016 06:51 PM
Ancient Member
I've had this happen too, the chances should be bizarre for all those criticals in a row. I've had mummies fighting a lvl 13 character do 2 hits and both be criticals while also punching through armor. Character died of course. Also had a character almost to mana temple after killing multi-headed chaos dragon ran into a dopp king who proceeded to take out 800 hp in 1 round due to both criticals and pv ignore.(yes I know they do dmg based on your hp) it just feels excessive that they'd get that many lucky hits in a row.

09-04-2016 05:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
I think the problem is more with the ridiculous number of times monsters can attack you per turn. Duelist with Grand Mastery can get what - 3 attacks max? But somehow a regular skeleton can easily make 6-7 attacks by lvl 50 (don't remember precisely, so might be wrong)... If he makes that many attacks, some of them are bound to be Critical...
You are right.

For example regular killer bug can attack you in one turn even 16 times and if you have low DV or forget to switch tactic to coward then your PC will surely get some lethal blows if he get near one.
Stronger monsters should have stronger attack but allowing them to perform more than 8 hit combos in one turn is very unrealistic. (like you have mentioned before that even very trained 50 lvl PC can perform maximum 2-3 attacks in one turn)
IMHO Maximum Amount of hits for any monster should be limited to ~8 or even lower and with each hit chance to perform critical hit should be lower.
Leveling monsters should get small bonuses to speed, health and damage instead to Hits per turn.
Imagine how insane number of times can attack (in one turn) for example Quickling Queen Skeletal Warrior.
IMHO its a bug and it spoils enjoyment of game somewhat.

09-04-2016 09:52 PM
Ancient Member
I don't agree this is a bug, as it is behaviour that is functioning as intended. Nobody ever complains when their character gets 4 or 5 crits in a row (not to mention slaying weapons that always crit), or you get two AoLS drops on the same level. This is the same thing.

09-04-2016 11:31 PM
Maybe this is ok if RNG decides to give someone even a row of critical hits. Sometimes. But currently for some monsters critical hits become more freqient than ordinary non-critical ones.

I doubt that The Creator really had an intention to make critical hits something common rather than something rare and special. Hence calling this a bug might be valid. Thus it might be worth looking into and fixing.

P.S. I don't think there are much players here who could brag about finding two AoLS at the same level. I can't even after 10 years of my lazy playing. On the other hand showers of criticals can be noticeable by mid-game already (depending on playstyle).

09-05-2016 06:49 AM
Ancient Member
I would be shocked to find that any monster in the game has a critical hit rate above 10-15%, even under blind rage. But I honestly have no idea how the algorithm works, so it's possible that you can get this to happen under some weird circumstances.

09-05-2016 08:06 AM
Well, maybe this is just my impression. I can't remember getting much frits from early-game stuff. A lot of monsters attacking a few times doesn't get a chance to hit much as well. Thus even when they get 2 crits out of 3 total - it looks fine. On the other hand there are killing machines in game capable of dealing e.g. 6 hits in a row and getting 3-5 criticals every time. I experience this with high-level stuff (mostly companions that turned on me), end-game monsters from time to time (e.g. I was surprised by emperor lich melee capabilities when lucky to meet the one first time) and just some monsters, e.g. killer bugs (which is maybe intended for them indeed but not for the other stuff).

+ Reply