Message suppression doesn't work (or I don't know how to do it properly)
issueid=3791 08-10-2015 05:40 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
Message suppression doesn't work (or I don't know how to do it properly)

I want to suppress several types of messages in the game entirely, using the appropriate section in adom.msg file.
Notably, all the shopkeeper related messages, for all shopkeepers of all races for all time.
However, adom.msg doesn't seem to work, no matter how I define the lines to suppress.
Also, ToEF messages are likewise included in the suppression list but they too consistently appear in the game.

Forget the wildcards for a moment (%s or %d or whatever).
I tried to suppress the messages with exact wording for a specific game, like this:

Barnabas, the trollish shopkeeper, mumbles: "I saw dat!"

Nevertheless it still appears.

I disabled sage since I was worried it might interfere with adom's built-in suppression system but no.
With or without sage - adom.msg message suppression system doesn't work in the case I described.

Any idea? Something I'm doing wrong? Any detailed guideline about wildcards and line breaks that seem to be often implemented?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3791
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 3
Affected Version ADOM r59
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-11-2015 02:14 PM
Ancient Member
I believe using the string placeholders is mandatory, even if your string exactly matches a message the game is printing. For Barnabas, it may be something like this:

Code:
%s mumbles: "%s"
You can usually find these in the executable, and ADOM Sage has a debug mode for this task too.

What did you use to get rid of the ToEF spam? This works for me:

Code:
#ToEF
The air is extremely hot!
The air on this level is searingly hot!

08-11-2015 04:58 PM
Ancient Member
What debug mode in sage?
Also, since the manual mentions the message suppression, I expected there to be some guide on how to correctly use it, including %s stuff.
For the record, my initial lines looked kind of like what you posted:
Code:
%s, the %s shopkeeper, mumbles: "%s"
This didn't work however.
For the tower, what I meant were ring of ice related messages which could not be suppressed in any way.
The regular messages however, also kept showing up, including "You resist the searing flames." which I have explicitly included in adom.msg.

04-09-2016 04:58 PM
Ancient Member
I'm bumping this thread as I'm playing another char with rings of ice and nature's companion.
I just left the tower though I would have gladly stayed and cleared the whole temple rather than just the wyrm but the unsuppressable messages make that area of the game completely unplayable.

04-19-2016 08:56 PM
Probably later response than what you've wanted, but using :regex and :noregex has worked for me when the expected form to handle the message normally is wrong. (I don't use Linux and don't feel like getting on Ancardia just to mess with Sage.) It's disgustingly hackish, but it works!

(I'm using it to color e.g. pickpocket rage and LOS same-monster corpse eating messages since the typical forms didn't seem to be right.)

Whether it'll show any conflicts with suppression, I don't know, since I don't use it for that. But suppression for my purposes (e.g. removing those damage-less CK IBS lines that show up every five turns) works.

04-26-2016 11:22 PM
Ancient Member
I have no idea what regex and noregex are.

Anyway, my main beef with this thing is that it's supposed to work, since this feature has been around for a very long time, even before 1.1.1 afaik.
I can't believe that nobody noticed anything amiss all this time.

04-27-2016 02:23 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
I have no idea what regex and noregex are.
Check the manual, section U, appendix E :)

Anyway, my main beef with this thing is that it's supposed to work, since this feature has been around for a very long time, even before 1.1.1 afaik.
I can't believe that nobody noticed anything amiss all this time.
Officially speaking, it's a relatively new feature. It wasn't there at all before 1.2.0, you had to use ADOM Sage to add it.

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1115

+ Reply