Way to combine similar projectiles, using junk arrows or less random variables for projectiles?
issueid=4309 04-27-2016 08:42 AM
Number of reported issues by Mr.PelicanPants: 10
Way to combine similar projectiles, using junk arrows or less random variables for projectiles?
too many turns wasted for nearly identical ammo

ADOM is really great with the different types of ammo you can get, but most games in ADOM seem to have a few tedious spots when low on ammo, due to reloading so many times for different rocks or arrows -3,1d4+2, +2, 1d6-1, etc.
in any early spots when you have multiple small groups of ammo, and especially in the weekly ID challenge games, it just seems weird that you spend up to twice (sometimes over) the time it normally takes to shoot a projectile at a greater claw bug about to kill you, because you wanted to organize the two arrows with a bent feather (-1) in one quiver, and the arrow with a chipped side in another quiver, and the three arrows with a tiny curve in another quiver, etc... and then spend turns switching to essentially the same ammunition.

would it be possible to just include those modifiers in the initial damage roll of 1d4 or 1d6, or maybe just a single 'junk arrow' quiver where everything is more randomized to prevent excess ammo switching?

i know this could be a somewhat big request but you really do spend a lot of turns switching ammo stacks, when you have 30 nearly identical arrows or rocks but 40-45 turns shooting them just because they're +2 or -1 to hit or something. i think combat could be a lot more streamlined if you could throw them all in the same bag, especially with the higher ammo destruction now, leaves you with tons of different small piles of the same stuff.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4309
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-27-2016 09:46 AM
Ancient Member
Well, this was discussed multiple times without any results :(.

For start, I think, just removing variance on to hit for missiles would be a step into right direction. It's not like +/-2 on arri\ow have a meaningful difference.

04-27-2016 11:10 AM
Ancient Member
I think the broader concept would be allowing one to group items however one wants. By a sort/filter or a manual arrangement. Then you can set the group to the missile slot. Maybe...

Imagine it this way: you have a filter for +1 bonus or greater, +4 hit die or greater, slaying only, spear+axe+dagger, etc. there could be overlaps in which ammo appears in which group, and then you can assign the group to the missile slot.

04-27-2016 12:23 PM
Essentially this is just yet another request for quivers / ammo pouches. I support with hope it will be looked into.

04-27-2016 03:57 PM
Ancient Member
The uniformity of to-hit and to-damage modifiers has already been done for various slaying ammo types.
Why not do the same for regular missiles? Like Soirana said, there is no meaningful difference between -2/+2 stuff or around that value.
There's another way though: Stacks greater than, say, 5 could retain their variety for flavor points.
However, all single missiles (shot by monsters, found randomly, generated by traps etc.) would have zero modifiers, like +0, 1d6+0 arrows or +0, +2d6 quarrels.

The way I understand it is that variation between larger stacks is far less painful to micro-manage than a shitload of 1-2 loose missiles with different pluses.

04-28-2016 12:02 AM
another thing i remember was when trying to use a stack of poisoned arrows (and daggers?). they split up individually after using once and would have to reload the whole stack one by one. idk if that could be fixed the same way though

04-29-2016 05:31 PM
I get the impression this horse has been abused aplenty before, but I want to throw in my support for a better quiver/ammo sorting option.

To me, it would be logical to have the extra turn cost whenever you need to swap ammo types (which the game does not do, switching ranged weapon and ammo type manually is still one turn), but letting us have all types of arrows in the same quiver, sling ammo in the same pouch, and so on. As a former competition archer, I can say from first hand experience that while there's slight differences between arrows, they all operate the exact same way and do not have to be stored separately. :)

05-26-2016 01:23 PM
Ancient Member
Please remove that annoying ammo modifiers.

05-26-2016 05:27 PM
Whatever the fix, this topic has definitely been brought up enough that a fix should definitely be prioritized at this point. FWIW, I like the idea that Blasphemous brought up, having individual arrows be a set value, whereas stacks (of 5+?) get some variance.

05-28-2016 07:42 PM
Just remove all variation besides the suffixes/prefixes (maybe increase the frequency of those instead) - they already do the same thing that variation does, and do it much much better.

+ Reply