Remove destruction chance for thrown weapons (daggers/spears)
issueid=3044 06-04-2014 10:41 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Remove destruction chance for thrown weapons (daggers/spears)

After something changed, not only arrows and quarrels can be destroyed with the message "-foo- is destroyed upon impact!", but also thrown daggers, spears and other unconventional ammunition. Even if my previous RFE (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2957), I'd like to request to completely remove the chance of destruction for not-arrows/quarrels/scurgari/rocks, because it's significantly hard to find a good stack of everything else and completely removes a viable early-game (or challenge game) potential.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3044
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r48
Implemented Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 22
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-04-2014 10:42 PM
Ancient Member
I agree, assassins for example start with up to 7-8 stacked daggers that are great for throwing.
Sadly in pre23 they don't last long enough to even get you to HMV.

06-05-2014 02:40 AM
Ancient Member
agreed. they are mostly pretty sturdy - no reason for them to break. you don't break dagger in melee do you?

06-05-2014 02:59 AM
Ancient Member
Yeah, it's hard to do a thrown large ration character with this change :p

06-05-2014 03:25 AM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
agreed. they are mostly pretty sturdy - no reason for them to break. you don't break dagger in melee do you?
Actually, "You hit the <foo> with full force and slay it. Your weapon breaks!". That happened to my battle axe.

Is this because of the same thing that causes thrown weapons break?

EDIT: But yes, agreed, no reason for them to break.

06-05-2014 04:10 AM
Ancient Member
I think melee weapons can only break if they are rusty.

06-05-2014 10:50 AM
Ancient Member
I think there is a small chance of them breaking if cursed, but I might be wrong.

06-05-2014 01:23 PM
If you can get DV from a spear or axe, you're using it to deflect blows, surely they can survive being thrown?

06-07-2014 11:25 AM
I'm not sure if the chance of breakage should be zero, but I agree that daggers and spears should be less-likely to break than an arrow/quarrel.

Maybe there should be one damage-chance for missiles that are strictly of the missle class, and another for melee weapons? (Not sure how to do it for everything else .. maybe a chance proportional to weight?)

06-07-2014 05:44 PM
Ancient Member
Why was this extra ammunition destruction added in the first place?

06-29-2014 12:16 PM
The Creator
As explained in http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2957 I have adjusted this for weapons designed to be thrown. They now are far less likely to break. Instead of completely reverting the former change we should test this again with the next release. IMHO things now are much better.

04-14-2015 04:44 PM
TB, do you fancy having another quick look at this?

Thrown weapons are still breaking. Breakage is fine for stacking missiles that you pick up in stacks and don't weigh a lot (arrows, rocks, quarrels), but it makes lugging around an axe for throwing, or trying to put together a stack of orcish knives, or learning to throw spears etc, completely useless now. This is a real shame, because I loved the character behind that orc barbarian throwing his hatchet in before he closed to melee!

Also, breaking your anvil by throwing it at a door feels silly. :)

Is there anyone that *likes* having non-missile attacks break?
Can we maybe, please, possibly, have the breakage chance be *zero* for non-standard missiles?

04-14-2015 08:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by sylph
TB, do you fancy having another quick look at this?

Thrown weapons are still breaking. Breakage is fine for stacking missiles that you pick up in stacks and don't weigh a lot (arrows, rocks, quarrels), but it makes lugging around an axe for throwing, or trying to put together a stack of orcish knives, or learning to throw spears etc, completely useless now. This is a real shame, because I loved the character behind that orc barbarian throwing his hatchet in before he closed to melee!

Also, breaking your anvil by throwing it at a door feels silly. :)

Is there anyone that *likes* having non-missile attacks break?
Can we maybe, please, possibly, have the breakage chance be *zero* for non-standard missiles?

I vote in favor of what sylph is saying.

04-24-2016 06:36 AM
Was this really implemented?
I still got "weapon is smashed" message several times after throwing a battle axe.

04-24-2016 06:47 PM
Ancient Member
The best solution for this would be returning to 1.1.1 behavior.

05-01-2020 08:37 PM
My opinion on weapon breakage is that it is an element of realism that reducing the fun of games. Unless it's done like Minecraft, where damage is gradual, and you have an opportunity to repair the weapon before it breaks. I like playing archer/thrown weapons characters, and the fact that I may or may not find ammunition or a source of ammunition (hatchet + fletching kits) makes me feel like this character build just isn't possible. It seems to me that rangers really should start with a hatchet and a fletching kit, or maybe conditionally upon the right talent selection (affinity with bows).

+ Reply