Monsters inventories.
issueid=357 08-15-2011 09:53 AM
Number of reported issues by Universal: 3
Monsters inventories.

This is not a bug, as I know you removed it intentionaly, but I'd like to see monsters dropping all of their equipment on death back. When I'm attacked by orc who is wielding giant spiked club, and after death he drops nothing, it just looks weird...
Issue Details
Issue Number 357
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Implemented
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version JADE 0.1.4
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-15-2011 10:23 AM
Ancient Member
They didn't drop everything in previous versions either. Anyway, I'd like to see at least weapons preserved because they always get mentioned. It's frustrating to see that I can't get that powerful weapon that an orcish brute almost kills me with. Maybe make it so that more valuable items drop guaranteed.

08-15-2011 10:56 AM
I'd rather see it so that whether the weapon gets dropped is controlled by certain factors, rather than being decided by pure chance.

More than that, though, I think that more humanoids should actually fight bare-handed, at least on earlier levels. That, or with low quality weapons that no sane explorer would waste their time on. Indeed, it should be made obvious when it's dropped, something like "pitiful knife" or "crude sword", which would rarely, if ever, get ego prefixes and suffixes.

08-17-2011 07:08 AM
The Creator
Fixed for JADE 0.1.4. Please send your real name to creator(at)ancientdomainsofmystery.com for it to be included in the credits. (If you were aleady asked to do so you can ignore this message. Please include a reference to the bug or RFE you are credited for.)

Now monsters attacking at least once with a visible description of the weapon being used will always drop that weapon. An even better improvement will be to drop items only if they either are "special" in some way or some moderate random chance occurs so that you won't get swamped by too much stuff. But for that I need to fix http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=384 which is actually quite difficult (one place where it's more difficult than in ADOM :-( ).

08-24-2011 10:59 AM
Ancient Member
An ogre attacked me with a large great club, but it didn't drop when I managed to kill him. :-(

Also... I think there should be more monsters fighting bare-handed. It would feel more interesting, and allow for more likely weapon drops without resulting in more junk.

08-24-2011 02:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
I think there should be more monsters fighting bare-handed. It would feel more interesting, and allow for more likely weapon drops without resulting in more junk.
Sounds good to me!!!!

08-24-2011 03:38 PM
I agree. Then the damage of the first few monsters (except for the rats) could be boosted a little as well, and I would think this would result in a better transition from goblin scavengers to orcish brutes.

08-24-2011 03:58 PM
Ancient Member
Hmm, I'll do a separate RFE.

08-24-2011 06:21 PM
I've found monsters with equipment are insanely hard to kill - more so than in 0.1.3. Every time one of my characters dies, it's the hands of one of these. There's a huge difference between the average unenhanced monsters, who keel over in a couple of taps, and nigh-on invulnerable monsters equipped with armour/weapons.

08-24-2011 06:24 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by anoddlad
I've found monsters with equipment are insanely hard to kill - more so than in 0.1.3. Every time one of my characters dies, it's the hands of one of these. There's a huge difference between the average unenhanced monsters, who keel over in a couple of taps, and nigh-on invulnerable monsters equipped with armour/weapons.
Yeah. Lost three chars to puny hobgoblin warriors/leaders equipped with great swords :/

But well, can't say that I don't like that, at least in the long term. Right now it makes the game maybe too difficult because we don't have enough resources, most of the time we can only hit and run so facing a tough monster can mean certain death even if one is careful. But when we get potions of healing*, herbs, scrolls, spells, etc. it will be very interesting to fight these monsters and to know that even a hobgoblin can be a menace if he gets a good weapon.

Also, thoughts of a "fencing" skill that could allow certain classes to disarm an enemy a la ratling fencers in ADOM come to mind.

*I think I saw one once but they don't seem to be very common in JADE 0.1.4.

08-24-2011 10:14 PM
Ah, if only we had access to Tactics, with the speed bonus from Cowardice when injured.

08-25-2011 03:22 AM
Here's a thought - the probability of a monster having a weapon at all should be dependent on the type of monster. Those that have no way of wielding a weapon would, of course, have a 0% chance of wielding a weapon. A goblin scavenger would have a very small chance (say, 1%, assuming danger level of 1), while a high level "leader" type, like a goblin chieftain, would have a very high chance (say, 95%). As the percentages go up, so do the likelihood that the item is "better" - so, a goblin scavenger at 1% will almost certainly be holding a useless item, whereas a goblin chieftain's chance of their weapon being better quality would be quite high, say, 50%.

Of course, this is just the generated item being wielded. Scavengers, especially, would be more than happy to pick up any weapon they find along the way, which means that you might see one wielding a rather good weapon... but chances are, it's a weapon they found, rather than one they already had.

In terms of implementation, here's how I'd suggest it be done. On generation of a monster, it first checks to see if that monster can wield weapons. If it can, then it randomly generates N integers between 0 and 255 (so, an 8 bit number), where N is dependent on the type of monster (and possibly other factors, like whether the monster is an artifact guardian, the danger level, etc). Then, it counts how many times the generated integer is a zero. If there is at least one zero, then a weapon is generated. The more zeroes, the better quality the weapon will be. For something like a goblin scavenger, N would be around 2 or 3 at minimal danger level, which would mean about a 1% chance of wielding a weapon at generation, and a diminishingly small chance of having a good-quality weapon (expect stuff like "wooden sticks" and "pitiful knives"). For a goblin chieftain, N might be somewhere around 512, which would give it an 86.5% chance of having a weapon, and about a 5% chance that the number of zeros is at least 5. The chance of getting at least 3 is about 1/3, which could be the range at which you start to see ego weapons.

08-25-2011 12:09 PM
Ancient Member
Y'know, I was kinda hoping that further comments would be made at the specific RFE I made. :-P

08-25-2011 01:51 PM
That RFE is specifically about having monsters that fight bare-handed. This is more about the inventory itself. I don't see anyone who has posted a comment regarding monsters fighting bare-handed, except mine... and mine was more all-encompassing, being about the inventory itself, with bare-handedness arising as a special case.

Anyway, as an extension to my idea, I'd suggest doing a similar thing with armour, too - that is, have a series of "rolls" to decide the quality of the armour that gets generated, if any is generated at all. For this, I'd have the dice set a little more generous, with, say, 128 rather than 256 possible values, and allowing a zero, one, or two, with the lower numbers producing more items of armour (that is, a roll of zero might allow for both a helmet and a boots, as well as upgrading rags to leather armour).

In this case, if the number of rolls for a goblin chieftain were around 128, then there'd be over 95% chance that armour is generated on the chieftain, with a 64% chance of at least one zero (meaning multiple armour items).

Also, in both cases, perhaps if the highly improbable happens, and, say, at least 20 zeroes get generated for either armour or weapon (not both combined), then it could actually generate an artifact of the appropriate type. To make the point of why this is a reasonable condition, consider that, on the goblin chieftain with N=512 for weapon, the probability that at least 12 zeroes are generated from that 512 is just 0.0001247% - that is, it is expected that you'd see one artifact-wielding goblin chieftain from over 800,000 of them, if at danger level 1, if the condition was only 12 zeroes, not 20 of them. The chances would be slightly higher as danger level increases, of course, but you'd still be looking at a vanishingly small chance, and that's on relatively rare monsters - the more common scavengers, etc, wouldn't even be capable of generating that many zeroes to begin with (from only 3 rolls, you can't get over 20 zeroes, after all), except on very high danger levels.

+ Reply