Nerf Tome of Donors (Specifically, Well Prepared and You Feel Sharper)
issueid=5807 12-07-2017 09:36 PM
Number of reported issues by mtf: 23
Nerf Tome of Donors (Specifically, Well Prepared and You Feel Sharper)

I think I've seen this on the forums somewhere, but not as it's own topic, so I thought I'd make one.

As it stands, the Tome of Donors is an immensely powerful item, giving you the ability to rapidly increase your stats and intrinsics. I believe it is so powerful that it actually detracts from the rest of the game, making rare resistances too easy to find and speed too easy to increase dramatically. Getting "Well Prepared" on an early character generally gives the feeling that you "have already won" the game, as many monsters that would be problematic immediately become a non-issue.

I have a few suggestions that I think would bring the power level of the ToD back in line with other items found that early in the game:

1) Remove "Well Prepared" entirely (rendering the player only able to gain intrinsics via corpses or pools once again).

OR

2) Split up "Well Prepared" into multiple benefits, perhaps giving each intrinsic it's own message. While more balanced, this might make those ToD effects too similar to pools, though as long as the book is blessed it's essentially a pool with no downsides.

Also, for the "You feel much sharper" benefit, I suggest:

3) Reduce the effect of this from +10 speed to +1-5 speed, putting it more in line with the other stat gain effects.

I think changes to these two effects will make the ToD much more reasonable, and will make ADOM's mid-game a lot more fun and interesting again. I'm still on the line as to whether the other stat gain effects are too much (2-4 points through potentials is very powerful), but as of right now those effects are not so egregious that I recommend changing them.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5807
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM 3.0.4
Implemented Version ADOM 3.0.4
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-07-2017 09:54 PM
Definitely a good idea. Well prepared is just too good.

12-07-2017 11:03 PM
The Creator
I nerfed several more of the effects and ways how the tome works.

12-07-2017 11:07 PM
You have made me on very happy player =) So excited for the next release!

+ Reply