Flight
issueid=278 07-18-2011 06:54 PM
Number of reported issues by VectorX: 22
Flight
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...a flying mountain dwarf?

I was hoping for the possibility of two things (one of which is somewhat in conjunction with the other). The first hope is slightly off topic. The ability to tame any non-human monster for a pet (perhaps make it a skill and the closer to 100 the skill gets, the more loyal the taming). Aside from fleshing out the game quite a bit, this also brings in the question of flying. Say you tame a white dragon and you want to fly around on it. This saves your character from using energy for walking (which increases duration between when you have to eat) and also means you could avoid ground confrontation with monsters (but incur the possibility of having to battle monsters in the air (like hawks, other dragons, etc). Flying would be faster than walking (clearly) but the more you fly, the more tired (and weaker) your pet gets. So there's a balanced trade off. Also, flying allows you to move over mountains (so instead of getting a climbing pack and raising your skill in climbing, you could train your tame skill and tame a flying monster). I know this is a bit of a long way off, but I felt at least documenting it for later consideration would be good =P.
Issue Details
Issue Number 278
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-19-2011 02:04 AM
While I think it's unlikely and unreasonable to expect flying in JADE, I like the general idea brought up - if you have certain types of pet, it should have an impact on wilderness traversal. For instance, if you have a "Goblin Scout" (presuming such a creature is created), then the chances of a wilderness encounter would decrease. If you have an Ancient White Dragon, the general chances of a wilderness encounter would decrease, but the encounters you do have would be much harder, as the Ancient White Dragon would attract much more powerful creatures, while repelling weaker ones.

And the same should apply to things like climbing in the mountains - with the right creatures, you should be able to do it without a climbing set (although you should probably need the climbing skill).

07-19-2011 02:26 AM
Actually, I'd think that flying could be a viable means of wilderness traversal, if you restrict it somewhat (no crossing "high" mountains, due to strong winds). There should be a way to get from A to B a bit quicker than by walking, and with the right encounter table, things could get really interesting. Hostile birds could just be the beginning, dragons, air elementals, nasty weather, whatnot.

07-19-2011 08:12 AM
Flying doesn't require anything to look different, only modifications to certain aspects of travel. I agree with Beast666 AND Aielyn. Mix the pet modification with flight and you have an awesome aspect to JADE.

+ Reply