Monsters picking up artifacts
issueid=1821 01-20-2013 01:12 AM
Number of reported issues by aerol: 71
Monsters picking up artifacts
Restore this behavior to something closer to pre-1.2.0

In p1, a fix was introduced that made it impossible for monsters to pick up artifacts in order to prevent them from picking up chaos orbs and in rare game situations make the game unwinnable. While the change did indeed fix that problem, it also allows for a number of silly game situations we haven't seen since monster inventories were introduced, like being able to run around an artifact guardian, picking up the artifact and killing the guardian with the artifact it was guarding, a behavior we can also see happen in vaults and in other situations. It's silly for a monster not to pick up the amazing weapon at its feet. Out of greed or out of a lust for power, any monster would. The request, then, is to change this behavior so that monsters do not pick up chaos orbs, but are capable of picking up all other artifacts. This would restore interesting monster-item interactions to the game while still taking care of the problem the fix intended to solve.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1821
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 13
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-20-2013 03:46 AM
Ancient Member
Yeah, there should just be a flag on certain items/artifacts to not be picked up. Should include the Trident of the Red Rooster to stop Khelevaster from picking it up after dropping it :/

01-20-2013 03:47 AM
Such a flag seems to already exist in the case of Yrrigs' rewards. Has Khelavaster ever picked up the trident in previous versions?

02-11-2013 09:32 AM
Artifacts other than orbs that might need the "don't pick up" flag if they don't already have it:

- RotHK
- TotRR (maybe)
- Moon Sickle (maybe)
- Si

But I believe at least the RotHK and the Si already have that flag.

11-17-2013 08:13 AM
Ancient Member
Can we please get this changed to bug status. Pretty please. There is nothing wrong with Moon Sickle's guardian picking it up, btw.

11-17-2013 05:11 PM
Ancient Member
Looks like I have already upvoted this before, so I'll explain how: my proposal was limited to chaos orbs only, since they're absolutely vital to win the game. Other artifacts are not, and if the player misses them because a monster picked them up, then tough luck. aerol already gave further valid reasons to restore old behavior, too.

01-04-2014 11:31 PM
I'm beginning to agree with Stingray1 about this being changed to bug status - either way, it needs attention from Team ADOM.

01-05-2014 01:35 AM
Ancient Member
Scepter of chaos seems an obvious example where the current behaviour is rather exploitable.

01-05-2014 01:37 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
Can we please get this changed to bug status. Pretty please. There is nothing wrong with Moon Sickle's guardian picking it up, btw.
Why the Moon Sickle's guardian(!) would pick up the item it guards?

01-05-2014 09:57 AM
Ancient Member
>Why the Moon Sickle's guardian(!) would pick up the item it guards?

So that you cannot run around it and pick it up without a fight.

01-05-2014 10:43 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
>Why the Moon Sickle's guardian(!) would pick up the item it guards?

So that you cannot run around it and pick it up without a fight.
You could apply this logic to royal guardians too then. Or Skeleton King.

01-08-2014 04:52 PM
Ancient Member
I had Serpent's Bite generated in UD:3, guarded by an extremely experienced green hag.
I shot her with an arrow, missed, she moved several squares in my direction, I teleported to the artifact and used it to slay her with ease.
Something is not right here, artifact guardians should pick them up when the move from their original spot.
Orbs and RotHK should of course be exceptions to this rule, as should TotRR, at least for Khelavaster.
No problem if a greedy farmer jumps over and picks it up, he might have lost his scythe somewhere and it's harvest time already so another pole arm should do just fine ;)
A PC at this stage of the game has already done some amazing things on the way, might as well just teleport away everyone who could pick up the trident, just to be certain nobody else can take it.

01-22-2014 09:29 PM
The Creator
Monsters pick up artifacts once more. All suggested artifacts have been marked as unpickable for monsters.

+ Reply