Add manual/keybinding entry about old UI
issueid=3526 01-02-2015 02:45 PM
Number of reported issues by King Moila: 6
Add manual/keybinding entry about old UI
Because it is not shown

Below is obsolete, there is a way to get old UI back.
Now the issue is just showing it in [k]eybindings menu or such.

So uhm... How can I not see this said more? Is there actually some reason people like the new UI better?

Compare these:
new
old

1. Okay first of all... why is there my class and race? Uh... like, do I forgot them? Do you... want to see your race and class all the time? Why not your birthsign there, or how old are you, or how fast you are moving... oh that would be actually useful.
2. These are obviously necessary. PV, DV, HP and PP are the vital functions of your PC. And they were displayed in the old one too! No complaints there.
3. What. The. Forest?? Instead of bottom screen status indicators with WRITTEN STATUS there, we get this. A 1 letter indicator that you are hungry. '?'. Or a number that you are burdened. WHAT? Well at least there is the location there, that's cool... but again, that should be there.
4. New message buffer. Okay, I'm beginning to like it actually. Too bad it often displays the last lines of conversation, meaning you still have to :m to see what was actually said. Why isn't there the old conversation system. [more] and stuff?

So if these are not issues to be changed, then could there be at least an option to use the old-style UI?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3526
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r53
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Modernized ADOM UI
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

01-02-2015 02:51 PM
Ancient Member
The old style UI is still there 'ctrl+n' followed by 'm' to cycle between UI display modes (there are 3).

01-02-2015 03:15 PM
That is cool, thank you!

Tried to find such command in documentation, but it was nowhere to be found.

06-20-2017 07:45 PM
The Creator
After thinking about it for a while I actually believe that the display modes for ASCII and tiled mode should be separate features. And the default for ASCII should be the old UI while the default for tiled mode is the modern style. This somewhat would violate the "NotEye displays everything in graphical mode as it is in ASCII mode" but my current feeling is that for gameplay it would be an improvement.

Comments?

06-20-2017 08:02 PM
Ancient Member
Ok, separating these makes sense. Graphical definitely does not need race for example.

I guess people are not too fond of the new ASCII information display, but the free-flowing buffer does have some fans. Can we have both of these in one mode? Old-style UI at the bottom and endless buffer at the top?

06-21-2017 11:07 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore
Can we have both of these in one mode? Old-style UI at the bottom and endless buffer at the top?
That's exactly what would I choose for both ASCII and graphical!

As for the defaults... I used to change mode but everything mentioned in the OP makes perfect sense for ASCII. New mode isn't justified anyhow for it.

+ Reply