Effects of low Learning
issueid=3717 05-22-2015 10:00 AM
Number of reported issues by Scooter Fox: 14
Effects of low Learning

With Learning lower than 6, PC cannot comprehend the number of charges in wands, not even the difference between "some charges" and "no charges", yet he/she can accurately tell there's 235 cooked lizards in his/her backpack and 12814 gold pieces in his/her pocket.

I'd like to suggest two ways out of this, not sure which one would be better.

1. PCs with very low Learning (below 6 maybe?) are unable to tell how many items exactly they have. Instead of "heap of X items" descriptions, they'd have
- a few items (2-4) - (alternatively always be able to tell a number up to four, as humans can do it naturally at a glance even when unable to properly count)
- several items (5-8)
- ??? (9-12) - (sorry, my English vocabulary is completely failing me here at the moment, so if you like the idea, I'd be grateful for some suggestions about the ranges)
- a lot of items (13-20)
- ??? (21+) - (see above)
For gold pieces it would be necessary to either alter the ranges or add a new functionality of checking wealth similar to checking literacy. Let's say after pressing :$ you get a message "You feel poor." or "You feel wealthy." etc. depending on amount of gold.

2. Boring solution - allow PCs to tell the difference between "wand is working" and "wand is not working". Maybe only allow it for Learning higher than 3 or 4?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3717
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

+ Reply