Randomise CotW PCs by gender as well as race and class
issueid=5602 11-04-2017 03:01 PM
Number of reported issues by Kelibath: 25
Randomise CotW PCs by gender as well as race and class
As requested, an RFE for randomised CotW gender.

Currently the randomly generated Challenge of the Week PCs all seem to default to male.
I've played about thirty or forty CotW games since the mode was released and only one PC among those was female - and that because gender was selectable, so I chose female out of sheer boredom with the male sprites-!
As a female player it is more immediately noticeable (and mildly irritating) to me that the 'random' CotW characters keep turning up as male - it doesn't feel random, and seems like an awkward design choice if not.
Moreover, having randomised gender also adds extra variety and challenge, since there are some character builds very optimised to female PC survivability (and some quite the opposite!).

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the automated generation algorithm, or simply an overlooked or unimplemented feature. I've posted it as a bug at medium priority in case of the former.
If it is a bug, it needs a quick fix; if it's a feature it'd be good to correct the skew to add more variety to the CotW in general.

Just to clarify I'm not asking that gender actually be selectable in Challenges of the Week unless desired by TB, as apart from the hassle of coding this it also skews the starting stats between challenging players.
Only that the algorithm that randomly chooses the weekly PC race and class also chooses a random gender at closer to a 50/50 ratio if it doesn't do this (successfully) already.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5602
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Fixed
Priority 6
Affected Version ADOM 2.3.6
Fixed Version ADOM 3.0.3
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-06-2017 06:06 PM
It's been reported by our bug hunter imperror sometime ago. Check out #4741.

11-13-2017 05:59 PM
Actually, these RFEs are for two slightly different issues.
As said above my bug report is that the CotW PCs are meant to be randomly generated but they never seem to auto-generate female. The one you've linked says that the option to "freely select" gender is bugged when it comes up, as well.

"Just to clarify I'm not asking that gender actually be selectable in Challenges of the Week unless desired by TB, as apart from the hassle of coding this it also skews the starting stats between challenging players. Only that the algorithm that randomly chooses the weekly PC race and class also chooses a random gender "

TB asked me to list it again, nevertheless - so I'll link him both issues. Thanks :)

11-24-2017 02:06 PM
The Creator
Ok, this has been fixed. There was an initialization problem with the challenge mode data structure. Thanks for pointing it out!

Genders should now be equally distributed when random mode is defined.

12-11-2017 05:34 AM
This sounds great. Only just seen the fix - what version is it in? I'll test it just as soon as possible. :)

12-11-2017 05:48 PM
The Creator
ADOM 3.0.3 - see the box to the upper right of these comments :-)

+ Reply