Pass some turns before PC returns back to the previously visited level
issueid=3940 10-19-2015 04:47 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Pass some turns before PC returns back to the previously visited level
Adds a bit more realism and fixes a couple exploits.

Currently when PC is leaving the level time on it freezes. When PC comes back all the things remain there unchanged.

Suggesting to change the existing behavior so that several turns are passed when level is loaded (PC comes back).

Exact number of turns I'd suggest is 5-10 for descending/ascending + number of actual turns passed on another level. Limit that number by 150-250 because larger number won't make much difference.
Another nice addition would be bumping up monster HP and PP regeneration rate - they just resting and healing wounds while PC left them alone. It might be a bit extreme but at some point monsers could get corrupted from background at appropriate DLs at these loads.

What's good about it:
  • It makes an impression like the level was living even when PC wasn't there. I'd say good impression.
  • It removes easy healing exploit "go to another level and wait" since monsters would heal too and regain power.
  • It makes stairs less safe place to store loot. Which discourages a lot from taking more items than you can carry. And it finally makes game less annoying and more challenging.
  • It makes farming and ratling traders less annoying because herbs would grow, traders loot would restock, etc.
  • Leaving compnions/slaves on another level and going for your own business becomes potentially unsafe too unless they're able to handle themselves on their own.

Cons?
  • Makes life harder for those who likes exploits.
  • Everyone got used to existing behavior.

Probably something like that is already implemented. But I can't notice the effect. Probably it was already suggested. But I can't find RFE. Hence posting it.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3940
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 12
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

01-15-2016 06:05 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
I can try to guess why it's not trivial:
- Level will need to function several turns without PC on it. Some features might work well only when PC is on the level. I'm not quite sure if this is the problem in ADOM but for me it would be the problem.
- Balance. Stairhoppoing and leaving things on the stairs (enemies, companions, items) can be a habit for many players. Some areas might become harder once this is implemented. There are levels where you might want to action immediately (cute dog, farming in the big room, ratling dealer level, maybe library, etc.)
- Just as always, it's unusual code change which wasn't planned during ADOM design and it's not easy to make such changes to ADOM without breaking anything.
Basically this. I think this is a fun idea, but might end up in a lot of unavoidable player death as per many above responses, mess with pets and herbs and non-renewable saved resources, as well as slow down lower-end systems.

+ Reply