Haggling buff
issueid=3293 08-16-2014 09:12 PM
Number of reported issues by gdo: 1
Haggling buff

Haggling is one of those useless skills no one bothers training. Let's have it, instead of being something you use actively on a shopkeeper, give a passive bonus/malus to player sales/shopkeeper prices, with no particular chance of failure. In this way it would work somewhat similarly to the passive bonuses given by Dodge and Athletics... and while I doubt many people would bother leveling it anyway, given that gold is very easy to come by, at the least it would provide real and tangible benefits, particularly in the early game, in a way people could see. Sounds fair to me!
Issue Details
Issue Number 3293
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r51
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 30
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-17-2014 01:44 PM
Yes, I agree.
The fact that haggling can increase shop prices, and with such a high chance, makes it a silly skill imo!
I was about to say I'd just like haggling's chance to increase prices nearly removed, and it only be applicable once, but then it might as well be automatic, as per original suggestion! :D

08-17-2014 09:25 PM
I like the idea of making it passive. I only ever increase it when I have no other skills to increase.

08-18-2014 01:19 AM
Same here. Never use it. If it had a (small) passive effect I might try to increase it. Voted for.

08-18-2014 11:48 AM
Ancient Member
I agree it needs a buff. I'd be OK if it remained active, just with a more noticeable effect. Although I'm also OK with passive.

08-18-2014 03:46 PM
Ancient Member
If it's passive, especially, it should never raise prices. Since then a character with a small haggling skill would be worse than a character with no haggling skill.

10-21-2014 07:51 PM
Ancient Member
I think it would be much better to buff this skill by adding more uses for haggling. For example:

Improve the prices:

- Use on the master thief / dwarven smith / dwarven trainer / ratling trader / ratling dealer to reduce their prices.
- Use on the ancient dwarf / sheriff / arena master to improve their quest rewards and bounties.

Making the quests easier:

- Use on the demented ratling to lower his price (to 5 artifacts instead of the default 6, if successful).
- Use on the old barbarian to reduce the requirement (to 15 instead of the default 20, if successful).
- Use on the ancient dwarf to ask for changing the monster to kill in the first quest.
- Make the cat lord ignore one cat.

Exotic:

- Use on an altar to get some extra piety. Probably risky and of limited use.

Imagine a character who tries to haggle with every shopkeeper, making all of them only raise their prices, but eventually getting enough practice to save one of their artifacts from the demented ratling, or to get the Rolf's Savior from the ancient dwarf. Quite a good story IMO.

I think that a possilibility to save an artifact would make this skill worth it, although only for those who attempt the special endings, I don't see anything similar and so useful for the normal guys.

10-22-2014 04:55 PM
I'd like for the haggling also to be used on selling something to shopkeepers to reach more fair trade and partially overcome racial prejudice of merchants. It will make this skill slightly more useful letting PC to train it faster. Perhaps successful use of Haggling could slightly train Charisma and Appearance and Willpower as people with silver tongues are received better than handsome but moody ones.
Thank you for your attention.

10-22-2014 07:19 PM
Zeno's suggestions are interesting, but in case there's no penalty to them, it'd be allowing scumming again. Would there be a tiny risk to make the target hostile? Which increases with repeated attempts...

Also, nay for cat lord ignoring a killed cat. The ring is awesome, the feat to get it must also be awesome.

10-27-2014 05:42 PM
Ancient Member
I don't see how it would allow scumming? Everything would be limited, for example, you could ask the ancient dwarf for one change, and if he says no, you cannot change it. (If he says yes, you also cannot change the second time.)

Even a tiny chance of making the target hostile would make the whole thing useless, especially in the case of an important NPC such as the ancient dwarf or demented ratling.

10-28-2014 05:18 AM
I often feel like haggling with Thrundarr over his first quest.

10-29-2014 07:40 AM
No to autohaggling.
How one supposed to train automatic Haggling? Right now one could train it by simply haggling with shopkeepers. It is fairly safe for prices even on skill level about 40.

Agree with Zeno. Just add more uses for it - allow haggling with Garth, Glod, ratling selling climbing sets, etc.

11-26-2015 12:49 PM
Duplicate of #4102 (which has a more detailed proposal).

09-30-2016 03:23 PM
I'd vote for Zeno's suggestion. Leave it as an active skill but allow haggling with more NPCs

09-30-2016 06:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Zeno
- Use on an altar to get some extra piety. Probably risky and of limited use.
How about it directly affecting the piety cost of prayers?
Or allowing to sacrifice herbs or other items that the god was originally refusing to take?

09-30-2016 07:45 PM
Zeno's suggestion looks great. How about also haggling with hostile monsters to make them neutral or "slightly hostile"? They may also request gold (or some item from PC's inventory?) to change to neutral. Would work only on humanoids, and not on uniques and vaults. And only once per monster of course.

10-06-2016 03:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by IGB
Zeno's suggestion looks great. How about also haggling with hostile monsters to make them neutral or "slightly hostile"? They may also request gold (or some item from PC's inventory?) to change to neutral. Would work only on humanoids, and not on uniques and vaults. And only once per monster of course.
That sounds more like a robbery by a monster. It may be morally acceptable only for outlaw-like monsters.

11-18-2016 07:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by wheals
Duplicate of #4102 (which has a more detailed proposal).
It's not a duplicate... check the dates, I actually wrote this first (several years ago).

I still stand by this idea, though - or at least some sort of improvement to this skill as proposed by others. Nobody ever bothers with Haggling, and that's bad. No skills should be useless!

11-20-2016 09:58 PM
Quote Originally Posted by gdo
It's not a duplicate... check the dates, I actually wrote this first (several years ago).

I still stand by this idea, though - or at least some sort of improvement to this skill as proposed by others. Nobody ever bothers with Haggling, and that's bad. No skills should be useless!
But I love useless skills! What else will I spend my leftover points from leveling up on?

I do agree, I would love to see haggling get buffed, along with any other skills that might need some buffs.

+ Reply