[RFE] More clear impact of healthcasting on the food clock.
issueid=3363 10-23-2014 02:27 PM
Number of reported issues by plllizzz9: 14
[RFE] More clear impact of healthcasting on the food clock.
ADOM is generally a fair game. This? Not so much.

This issue has a low priority, since I only found out about it when attempting to reach the Archmage status in prerelease 50 - as such, it seems to be a very minor, yet still annoying problem that takes away the means of reliably accomplishing one of the biggest challenges in the game. With the not-so-recent-now changes, healthcasting [which is pretty much the only way of Wish being possible to cast in a reasonable time span and not weeks upon weeks of wand farming] is taking away a measure of character satisation meter. That wouldn't be a problem if not the fact that a character that still says 'Bloated' can be -instantly- starved to death by a casting of Wish. While learning the spell places an already big 'food hurdle' in the first place, it isn't a problem since there's always the option of stopping when the character hits the lower ends of the food clock.

When casting? Not so much.

Worst of all, unlike being able to count the HP and PP conversions necessary to cast the spell, there's no real possibility of telling the 'Bloated' status that will let you survive the cast and 'Bloated' that outright ends with a YASD. It's the type of random, unfair failure that makes the challenge not really worth attempting in the first place - something that generally doesn't happen in the game.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3363
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-23-2014 05:28 PM
Ancient Member
I mostly agree with making the impact of spellcasting on food clock more explicit, but it's not a new thing that becoming an archmage has steep requirements.
I've known how to pull this off for quite some time.
You need to remove all worn items that increase food consumption (artifacts & invis sources), preferably have no corruptions and not have any burden status.
Then you eat an uncursed stomafillia (or any kind of food) until you're bloated, wait till the moment bloated turns into satiated and eat a blessed stomafillia.
This method is foolproof. If you follow this guideline for every casting of wish, you will not die.
Of course this becomes a nuisance in the long run but that is the cost of ultimate magical prowess.
Also, one of the first wishes should be for AoLS, which saves you from just such a deadly occurrence as starving due to HP-casting.

10-23-2014 05:52 PM
The only annoying bit about the whole thing is the lack of clarity - one 'Bloated' kills you and another one doesn't, and there's no ability to tell in game - and dying in adom cause the game witheld information from us is generally not a thing. On the contrary, the amount of information like HP, PP, DV/PV, monster health and damage averages, etc. - everything you need to survive is pretty clearly outlined to the player. As for steep requirements, I agree, though I don't find them much of a problem anymore [pretty much any Mist Elf PC can easily reach them around level 30, or as low as 21 - depends on your patience, really]

10-24-2014 12:46 AM
Ancient Member
I'd say that another variable should be added to the dynamic display that can be used to check char speed, turncount, current energy cost etc.
There could be something like "Current satiation level: XXXX" which I think would clear things beyond doubt.
Post an RFE and you have my vote ;)

+ Reply