Reduce Backtracking in Ice Queen Domain
issueid=4612 11-12-2016 08:38 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grond: 971
Reduce Backtracking in Ice Queen Domain
Add a Shortcut Between IC:2 and ICT

The Ice Queen's quests require a lot of tedious backtracking through many levels. This gets pretty annoying once you have done the area one or two times. I suggest adding a shortcut between ICT (throne room) and IC: 2 (trap area), which becomes available after receiving the Ice Queen's first quest. This makes sense given the layout of the area (3x3 spiral with IC: 2 in bottom-middle, and ICT in center), and there's even a fake secret hallway in IC: 2 which could be used for this. It also makes some sense that the Ice Queen would want to make serving her a bit more convenient.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4612
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 20
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-13-2016 04:19 AM
Ancient Member
Wouldn't mind seeing a tile on the wilderness map as well that leads back to said exit. (*EDIT that unlocks once you find it the first time)

11-13-2016 07:10 AM
I think that's part of the hard part of the ice queen domain, especially if you start losing items etc.

Although personally I just don't even bother going through it if I can't get through it without item destruction. Most of the time I only go in if I have invisibility somehow.

11-13-2016 08:04 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by pjsb1
I think that's part of the hard part of the ice queen domain, especially if you start losing items etc.

Although personally I just don't even bother going through it if I can't get through it without item destruction. Most of the time I only go in if I have invisibility somehow.
Item destruction only kicks in after you have killed a significant number of enemies. Without invisibility, the only place you are really required to kill monsters is IC:5 (berserker+yeti area), and the cutoff for making the cold worse is generous enough that you could kill everything on IC:5 (even though this isn't necessary) and still have some leeway. So the backtrack to head to FGJC ends up being: unequip stuff, get blown around and possibly take a bit of drowning damage, equip stuff, walk through an area with no hostiles, walk through an area where you have to tediously but easily avoid hostiles, walk through another area where you have to tediously but easily avoid hostiles, walk over an ice bridge, and walk through an area where you have to remember not to pick up stuff. I'm not sure where the challenge is, if you managed to make it through the first time; all the interesting problems/pitfalls have been navigated at this point.

Now, doing it the first time and having item destruction and cold damage kick in in the middle of IQD; that might make the backtracking relevant. Once you know what you are doing (either avoiding slaughter, or dropping destructible items beforehand), the backtrack is just a dull slog. There's a whole lot of tedium just to destroy more of an unspoiled player's consumables: 1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8>9>8>7>6>5>4>3>1>2>3>4>5>6>7>8>9>8>7>6>5>4>5>6>7>8>9>8>7>6>5>4>3 (and a 1>2>3 on top of that if you are going back for treasure).

12-03-2016 05:08 AM
Ugh- yes, please. I can't stand going through this area. I spent quite a while looking around the Ice Queen's final area for a shortcut out. I was quite surprised to find out I had to walk all the way back...

12-04-2016 10:30 AM
Ancient Member
That's why I'm only doing the first quest. For me, the greater vault in FGJC is the real prize.
Having to pass all the hostile environment and monsters every time, even though you have agreed to help the lady of the land, is just inconsistent.
She should make a shortcut or at the very least, make the monsters non-hostile and stop the blowing winds in hot springs area.

12-21-2017 06:30 AM
With the addition of the yggaz quest, I think something like this would be really nice for quality of life.

12-30-2017 06:48 PM
Ancient Member
For angering the Queen, my experience is that only the killing of Yeti in the forest room triggers the advanced cold.

01-18-2018 12:38 AM
If the suggestion as-is simplifies the game too much, maybe at least add said shortcut after *completing* Quest 1. Only have to backtrack once that way and it makes characterful sense for her to lift a finger only for those who've proven their worth.

01-21-2018 10:32 AM
I support a shortcut option, but I feel that IC:5 should not be immediately skipped. IC:5 is a challenge for the PCs to face both going in and coming out because swapping the neutral yetis aggros them, and are often the only "exciting" parts of the IQD for an invis PC, even more so for visible PCs that aggroed the berserker prince. IC 6, 7 and 8 are mostly tedium with lots of space to run past anything aggro.

I like Kelibath's suggestion for a shortcut after completing quest 1. If item destruction is meant to be a permanent part of the level, have it worsen after the shortcut is generated. "The ice queen channels icy wind and creates a bridge! The cold worsens, but the bridge appears to be a quicker way out of here."

01-31-2018 06:35 PM
I very much agree that there needs to be a shortcut once you actually reach the queen.

After talking to her, simply have to tell us of a quicker way to reach her, and spawn a staircase nearby. This would allow us to leave instantly, and when we come back we would appear there instead of the entrance.
Honestly, item destruction has never been an issue there, and I basically slaughter everything every time I go there. It's just such a royal pain to go through all those empty screens over and over again.

+ Reply